I heart smoked ketchup

Started by StickyDan, June 21, 2010, 09:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

No really, I do.  I'm not a big fan of the regular stuff but smoked ketchup is the cats @$$.  We had a late dinner tonight so that meant something fast.  We decided to make some pasta with store bought tomato sauce. As usually, we doctor it up with some herbs, seasoning, vegetables and tonight we through in some prawns.  I suggested we also throw in some smoked ketchup.  We put the ketchup in last but before I put it in, the wife wanted to do a pre & post taste test.  Lets just say that the "pre" wasn't bad but the post was incredible.  It's amazing what 2 tbs of smoked ketchup can do to tomato sauce.  Just enough smoke to taste it but not enough to over power the sauce.  We'll be trying that again very soon. 

Smoking Duck

I'm curious as to how you smoked the ketchup.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

StickyDan

It's gotta be one of the easiest things I've done so far with great results.  Simply put the ketchup in a big pan, or dish or whatever you have.  The key is to expose as much surface as possible.  I don't remember what kind of wood I used but I think it was Hickory for about 2 hours.  Cold smoked of course and stirring about every half hour.   Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
D

Smoking Duck

Thanks Sticky D......I'm gonna have to wait a bit to do a cold smoke......I'm sweating more than a hooker on 2 for 1 day right now

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra