• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Spatchcock or not?

Started by ninerguy, July 02, 2010, 06:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninerguy

I have 2 small chickens that I plan on smoking tomorrow.  Will brine today should I spatchcock after brining or not?
When my feet hit the floor in the morning I know it's a good day

FLBentRider

I have not done the spatchcock, but those who have say it cooks faster and exposes more meat to the smoke.

I'd say go for it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

i have done the last 4 chickens that way and it seems to cook and smoke better. Plan on doing the Thanksgiving turkey that way
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

pensrock

TTNuge

Spatchcock is the only way to go in my opinion.  I do 90% of my chickens that way, the other 10% I do on the overpriced Traeger Beer Can Chicken holder just because the wife thought she was doing a good thing when she spent rediculous amounts of money on it.   $6 for a wire one of $40+ for the fancy ceramic one with the Traeger logo on it, sad too because I sold the Traeger and bought the MAK before I ever used it!

3rensho

I spatchcock them now.  I think it makes a prettier presentation too on a platter before carving.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

ninerguy

Going to do some ABT as well.  The 2 birds are 4 & 3.5 lbs about how long should they take?

Smokey the Bear.

This is the only way to do a bird. ::)
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

ninerguy

;D The birds turned out Great> Both were moist & tasty, done with 2 hrs of hickory smoke covered in bacon.

Mailman

If to error is human. Than I'm more human than most.

GusRobin

Cut the backbone out of the chicken so it lays flat. I usually use a pair of kitchen scissors and cut along one side of the backbone and then along the other side (about an inch apart.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

stillsmoking

Glad it turned out Ninerguy.  I started spatchcocking a year ago and have done turkeys and chickens a few times.  I like the even cooking and it is sure easy to get some spices on once spatchcocked.

Smoking Duck

I've never done the spatchcock thing mostly because I don't do yardbird that much.  However, I think the next one I do will be done this way.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

ninerguy

:) I must admit I had not yet done a whole chicken in the OBS & was reading about the spatchcocking.  After having done it this way I will probably not do them whole.  It took about 5 minuets to take out the backbone of both birds, then you can put the spices on both the inside and outside.  Made for a perfect smoke.  Thanks for all the information in all the different discussion groups have certainly picked up a great many tips that a newbie like me did not have a clue about :-[ .

ninerguy

classicrockgriller

Once you spatchcock, the breast bones and cartlidge are easy to remove.

Then you have a culinary treat.

You can eat it like a Caveman and not worry about small bones.