CHEESE

Started by SAMMY C, August 14, 2003, 08:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Hi psdubl07,

It is only a short clip but is very spectacular, I will try and send it Monday.

A friend also produced a DVD capturing some of the atmosphere of TT 2004 on his camcorder, if you have a multiregion DVD player I will see if I can run a copy off and send it to you if you want.

cheers, Paul

Manxman.
Manxman

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by manxman</i>
<br />Smoked a variety of cheese yesterday:

1.Mild Cheddar
2.Mature Cheddar
3.Red Leicester
4.Double Gloucester
5.Cracked Black Peppercorn Mature Cheddar..... (speciality cheese produced in a local creamery, the use of black peppercorns in cheesemaking apparently dates back over 1000 years to Viking times![8D])

All were cold smoked using apple briquettes for 5 hours, temperature did not register on BS thermometer or independent thermometer so &lt;50 degF. Vent was around a third open. Each block was around 10 - 12 oz.

They have been wrapped in cling film/plastic wrap and will be left in the fridge for around 48 hours.

Next step is to hold a tasting session with family and friends to compare and contrast!!!![:D][:p][:D][:p]

Manxman.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

How did the Cheese turn out?

manxman

Hi Phone Guy,

The various cheeses turned out very well overall. [8D]

My panel of tasters [:D][:D]voted mature cheddar as the favourite with the black peppercorn second, although I personnally was not overkeen on it... to use a phrase I have used before it had no "wow" factor over the original unsmoked productIMO. [:D][:D]

Mild cheddar was popular whilst the other two came out as "ok", probably won't bother smoking them again although the smoked red leicester has been used a lot grated/shredded on chilli's. [:p][:p]

The two dogs on my panel (a chocolate labrador and a mongrel) appear to rate all the cheeses equal and wolf the lot down at an alarmimg rate of knots![:D][}:)]

I currently have requests for more mature cheddar equating to several pounds of cheese which I have in the fridge ready to smoke in the next couple of days. I also have orders for the black peppercorn mature cheddar. In addition I have a chive and garlic mature cheddar that I am going to try.[:D][:D]

The only other cheese I have tried to date is Blue Cheese but I felt that smoking this cheese did nothing to enhance it's already distinctive flavour and I probably won't try this again.

Favourite bisquettes to date are apple and oak, the latter works well with the mature cheddar in particular. [:D][:D]

Hope this gives you some ideas![;)][:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

psdubl07

Manx, here's a chef's trick I learned recently, you may already know it.  If you enjoy blue cheese a lot, say for salads, but don't like how sometimes the flavor can take over the salad, keep it in the freezer, then went you want a bit of the flavor, just grate some in.

BTW, I'm still searching for a multi-region DVD player. [:(!]

manxman

Hi Paul,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If you enjoy blue cheese a lot, say for salads, but don't like how sometimes the flavor can take over the salad, keep it in the freezer, then went you want a bit of the flavor, just grate some in. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks, that's a useful bit of advice. [:D]

Sorry you are having trouble getting a suitable DVD player, it is possible to get information off the internet on how to modify some DVD players to multiregion depending on what model you have?! [;)][:)]

Maybe someone else on the forum has experience of making a dvd player multi region or getting hold of one in the US.[:D][:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

Phone Guy

I decided to try some Cheese tonight. I smoked a couple small blocks of Sharp Chedder and some Jack that a local guy makes. We buy fresh milk from him (all that cream on the top[:p][:p][:p]) and picked up this cheese today. Its really good stuff. It tastes more like a white Chedder to me. Anyway its wrapped and in the fridge as I type.

Phone Guy

The home made cheese came out great. The Chedder wasn't the best. I used apple and smoked for about an hour tried not to let the temp get over 100. I had to open the door a couple times. I will try again. My Wife loved the cheese we got from our milk people.

Thunder Fish

Try tossing a couple of 2 liter(1/2Gal) frozen water jugs in the next time  on the top rack.

jaeger

I smoked about 10 # of cheese today. My supply and the neighbors supply had run out. He usually smokes cheese in a Little Chief smoker but it has to be about 20 degrees F or the cheese melts. I used pecan for  3 hours and it turned out great. I have had good luck in the past with apple but I am having really good results with pecan lately.  
I offset the generator into a box and attached with a dryer hose. I  gained about 10 degrees in the cabinet. I did not use any ice.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

PaulMarquis

Hi Now this is as easy and as tasty as it gets. Go to Sams club get a 2lb loaf of fresh mozzerella cut this sausage shaped thing into 4 pieces. Prepare your bradley.
Unplug the heater, Fill the bowl with crushed ice, put 4 apple bisquettes in the hopperfollowed by 2 bubba pucks, place the 4 mozzarella sections on the top rack, open the top vent wide, turn the smoker on for 1 1/2 hrs. Vaccum seal 3 of the delicious looking browned lumps of Mozzerella and refrigerate or freeeze them if you won't get back to them for a while. Boil up a big pot of water in a spaghetti cooker and steamer. Chop your georgeous brown lump of Apple smoked mozzerrella into 1/2" cubes Take a 1/2 lb of really nice proscuitto de parma sliced thin roll each slice and cut the tight rolls into 1/2" long bits.  Steam 1 lb of fresh asparagus in the spaghetti cooker for 3 minutes and plunge it into a large bowl of ice water. Cook 1 lb of good pasta al dente and remove the pasta from the water.While this has been going on you have prepared a large skillet with a generous (2-3 Tablespoons) of  Extra Extra Virgin Olive oil. Do not drain the pasta scop it into the skillet add proscuitto and the smoked Mozzerrella. Now the MAGIC. Ladel in one half cup of the pasta water. Stir until the cheese becomes a delicious smokey sauce add the chilled asparagus, serve. This is a meal fit for a king. And it is really easy once you do it once.
Paul

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Paul!  Always nice to have another North East BSer on board.  Thanks for sharing the recipe!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

Paul, first welcome!

And second, the above for mentioned recipe is down right scrump-shish sounding.  I think this going on the "Must DO" list.  After reading this I have this "Pavlov Dog" thing going on-I'm now reaching for a napkin. Printing this out.......

Plus antything that starts off with "Sams Club" can't be going in the wrong direction...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

Paul,

Did it tonight & man, WOW! Great flavors! I didn't get much of a sauce though, and the cheese just wanted to clump w/the proscuitto. What did I do wrong?

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Paul,

Did it tonight & man, WOW!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is this to much information?[:D][}:)][:D][}:)]

On a serious note thats a great recipe.  I will definitely try it as well.  Smoked moz. is really good on homemade pizza as well[;)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.