On third try - a terrific brisket! Here's how...

Started by Ernie_in_NC, June 12, 2010, 04:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie_in_NC

How do you do the "foil barrier"? I too smoke the entire time.

Smokin Elvis

I just overwrap the lowest rack with heavy gauge foil to serve as a barrier to direct heat from the element.

elvis

KyNola

Elvis, just my opinion but you might want to be a little careful about completely wrapping the bottom rack in foil.  You are interfering with the natural flow of heat, smoke and air by trapping it underneath the foil barrier.

I think I recall the Bradley manual specifically mentioning it.  Again, just my opinion.  No offense intended.

Smokin Elvis

Quote from: KyNola on June 15, 2010, 06:40:58 AM
Elvis, just my opinion but you might want to be a little careful about completely wrapping the bottom rack in foil.  You are interfering with the natural flow of heat, smoke and air by trapping it underneath the foil barrier.

I think I recall the Bradley manual specifically mentioning it.  Again, just my opinion.  No offense intended.

Understood. There is alot of room all the way around the wrapped shelf for smoke and heat to move to the vent.  Just makes the heat more indirect.  But thanks.  Will have to check manual but there is flow around the shelf so don't see any safety issues, etc. 

elvis 

DTAggie

I loosely place a piece of foil over the rear 1/3 to 1/2 of the v-rack allowing plenty of smoke and heat to travel up the front side but deflecting direct heat from the element

Ants

Hey guys, Just wondering how big (weight wise your briskets are)?  Also are you cutting the point from the flat?

DTAggie

I never cut fat from a whole brisket or just the flat.  Flats usually have minimal fat and you actually have to be careful so you make you sure the one you buy has enough fat.

classicrockgriller

I have bought and cooked a flat cutt away from the point, that way I can inspect how much fat cap I have.

The Texan way is to cook them together.