How much Butt do you want?!?!?!

Started by wkahler, July 18, 2010, 01:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

Yeah that was my typo!!!  Thinking of going with 3 8lbs butts might make it easier and allow some room for some corn or vegetables also!!  Might have to to the corn on the propane smoker!!
Quote from: squirtthecat on July 20, 2010, 04:33:52 AM

Do you mean start the butts at 11PM Saturday night?

I'd think that would work fine..
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

squirtthecat

Quote from: wkahler on July 20, 2010, 04:49:28 AM
Yeah that was my typo!!!  Thinking of going with 3 8lbs butts might make it easier and allow some room for some corn or vegetables also!!  Might have to to the corn on the propane smoker!!

Sounds like a plan.    They'll be all but done by early-mid afternoon on Sunday.  Just FTC while you are cranking on the corn..

Just run it overnight at 225°.   Do you have a hopper extender for your Traeger?  You might need to set an alarm clock to run out and dump some more pellets in early in the morning...

GusRobin

Being me, I would start a few hours earlier. You can always FTC longer if done early; sucks when it is done late and every one hungrily looks at you as if you we part of the Donner party menu. ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

I would start them around 9pm.

starting at 11pm only gives you 18 hours until serving time.

Assuming a 9pm start time, I would empty/refill water bowl at 1AM, rotate racks.

Rotate Racks again around 6-7 AM, check ITs.

Don't be surprised if one is done a couple of hours before the others.

If you get a temp reading that seems out of line (too high for too short a cook time) stick the probe in another spot. If you hit a fat pocket you will get a high reading, since fat is denser than lean.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

wkahler

Speaking of which I need to get some more pellets!!! LOL that would be a bad thing!!!  I picked up two 7 pounds and a one 13 pound!!!  So i will get a good rub on them and shot them with some injection maybe and let it rip i guess!!  Might have way to much but at least i will have left overs to vacuum seal and make some soup later!!

squirtthecat

Sometimes the pellets don't "fall" correctly and you'll get a cone forming in the hopper...  A couple whaps and they'll fall into place.    I would just top it off sometime in the wee hours of the early AM.

Put the big one on the far right side.  That's usually a bit hotter than the rest of the pit.   They should cook a little more evenly that way..

Drop an empty salsa jar in your drip bucket...   You're going to have a lot of fat rendering out of 27 pounds of butt.

Good luck!

wkahler

That's for all the help and advice.  I think i might take some pictures of the process to let you guys know how this green horn does!!  Got two bags of pellets and think i am ready to go.................any good rub ideas??  Was going to coat with some sauce in about the last two hours or so!!

wkahler

Ok she just notified me that we are eating at 1 not 5 sooooooooooooo no i'm thinking start time at 4pm on saturday and then should be good to wrap them up at least 1 hour before so i can hit the corn up.  Any thoughts on that time frame with everything???  I have two 7 pound butts and one 13 pound so i am guessing the two 7 pounds will probable be done before the big one?!?!?!

squirtthecat

Just make it easy on yourself...       Start them FRIDAY night - whenever is convenient - and deal with them (pull, clean up) on Saturday.   Reheat on Sunday morning in a crock pot(s) with some Cider Vinegar - or check out the 'Vaulted Vinegar' recipe..

It's almost always better left over IMO.  No need to panic getting it all ready to go right out of the smoker...   Nobody will know the difference!     Mine is always frozen/reheated to serve.

FLBentRider

I've done the re-heat gig, definitely for large groups..

but there is nothing like a fresh butt out of FTC.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

If you decide to do them on saturday, STC has posted some good times for the Traeger.

Allow yourself 20 hrs for cook and FTC.

If the cook goes longer, shorter FTC.

If the cook goes quicker, longer FTC.

4 to 6 hrs hours in Heavy wrapped foil, double towel wrapped, and a warm cooler will hold

your piggies.

wkahler

Got it guys think I'm going to stick with the Saturday cook idea, reheating just doesn't sound as good to me!!  Will shot for a good start time and then hopefully things work out!!!  Will be in touch!!

wkahler

Need a rub idea for my butt  ;D LOL!!!!

FLBentRider

Quote from: wkahler on July 21, 2010, 10:27:15 AM
Need a rub idea for my butt  ;D LOL!!!!

The Renowned Mr. Brown Barbecued Pork Butt, Memphis Rub; Smoke & Spice, by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
    * 1/4 cup Paprika
    * 1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
    * 2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
    * 2 tsp. Mustard, dry
    * 1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
      (Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: wkahler on July 21, 2010, 03:41:01 AM
Got it guys think I'm going to stick with the Saturday cook idea, reheating just doesn't sound as good to me!!  Will shot for a good start time and then hopefully things work out!!!  Will be in touch!!

STC was sharing the word on pulling the piggie, bagging or vac pak, and reheating later.

When you pull it and let everything mix together, the smoke will distribute better thru the meat.

Maybe you will have some left over so you can see for yourself.

It might help in a future date when you have to pre-cook several days in advance.