help with first run of candied salmon

Started by chiroken, July 18, 2010, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

Well, just back from Nootka Sound with 4 chinook! Will end of candi'ing about 18lbs. I have 2 sets of racks for my 4 rack bradley. Hope Friday with be 1st go around at candied salmon. I've got a few questions still after searching the archives. I'm trying to back track from putting the smoker on Friday morning to figure out when into the brine, how long for pellicle formation.

Not quite sure how long to brine for? They are pretty beefy (salmony? ;) ) strips, definitely not on the thin side. 1 or 2 days? How many gallons for 18lbs? How often should I stir it all up?

Can I dry the fish right on the bradley racks to form the pellicle?  If so, where can I do it and how long would it take? Can I load the racks into the smoker and leave the door open? Temperature here this week will be highs of about 25 degrees celcius (77F). It stays quite cool in the lower floor (cement floor). How long should I expect? Any tricks to prevent the fish from sticking to the racks? Once the pellicle is formed, can the salmon go into the fridge until the next day to smoke? I have a 2nd fridge that I might be able to make enough room in for the salmon.

I'll follow the graduated heat, turning and rotating racks. How long do I use smoke for? Planning on using maple, figured I might as well as maple syrup will most likely end up in the brine.

For candied salmon, am I then going to baste the salmon part way through the smoking? How often?

Thanks in advance for all the tips, I can't wait to get this done. My wife keeps buying it at the store and the last little bag came to $28!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

StickyDan

I"m no expert but use some cooking spray on the racks to prevent sticking.  I also like to keep the skin on.  Sometimes the skin will stick to the rack but at least the fish comes of nicely.  Someone should have answers to your other questions. Good luck and let us know hoe it turns out.

chiroken

Most of the fish has the skin on. I skinned both fillets of 1 fish and butchered it enough to say "forget the rest!". Growing up we smoked the trout whole halves, none of this filleting and skinning stuff. Don't have the science down yet. The candied salmon chunks in the store look like it's not too tough to do - wrong! Obviously technique is everything, and practice. Guess I'll have to keep fishing then!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Habanero Smoker

I've never made candied salmon. I can answer your question about drying on the racks.

Yes you can dry on the racks, just make sure there is air circulation underneath. This can be done by inverting the trays then placing your salmon on them. This will elevate it off the surface so that air circulation can flow underneath. If you are doubling up your trays by inverting one tray on top of the other; then prior to placing the salmon in the smoker you will need to rearrange some trays.

Some have purchased or build a rack stand for this purpose. Another way to raise the racks off the surface is to use 1/2" (or thicker) x 1/2" x 12" cuts of hardwood and use them to elevate them. This way you can stack the trays vertically.

Keeping the salmon from sticking: Pam will work, but in the future you should look at getting some screens from Yard & Pool. Since you end goal is to make jerky, I would think placing the fish in the smoker for a few hours at 110°F - 120°F without smoke should develop a good pellicle, then you can apply the smoke. But developing the pellicle first and leaving it in the refrigerator for another 24 in this case should be alright, because the end goal is to make jerky.

There are several ways to keep the cabinet cool. The best way is to detach the generator from the cabinet:
Cold Smoking with the Bradley

If you have the digital you will need to follow these additional instructions:
Cold Smoking with Digital

To keep temperatures down you can crack the door, and also leave the vent wide open. You can also add ice, but that may use up tray space you plan on using.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chiroken

OK, will go with Kummock's recipe, too many compliment it to not try it out! Still a few questions:

I like the idea of cayenne, however, how hot will it be at that concentration? My kids won't want hot. If it's a bit of zing then fine, otherwise I may need to half it and sprinkle on extra for Dad's fish!

Think I'll try to bang up a quick rack system that'll hold the 8 racks. Any suggestions on petticle time if I put the racks downstairs where the temp is probably high teens (^C), I guess that'd be in the 60'S? Does thickness affect the time required for this process or is it simply surface exposure? I can easily run a fan too, is it blowing right towards the fish?

How often to baste? Just once? And when? Several recipes call for 3/4 cup honey - 1/4 cup water. I'd like to baste some racks to see the difference but I can see me mixing them all up when I spin and rotate the racks (I still do this right? I rotated when jerky making)

To rinse or not to rinse? Once out of the brine do I directly rack the fish or rinse under water? If rinsed, do they get patted dry before racking?

Apologies for all the questions, to get an idea of how my mind works, read over this post as fast as you can, then increase speed 50%! It's that "I must over research and plan everything so that everything is perfect" quality that my wife loves so much ;)

EZ Smoker

Quote from: chiroken on July 19, 2010, 11:59:23 AM
...to get an idea of how my mind works, read over this post as fast as you can, then increase speed 50%! It's that "I must over research and plan everything so that everything is perfect" quality that my wife loves so much ;)

Apparently, you and I are a lot alike.   And so are our wives.  I know just how much wives love that researching and perfecting approach.  
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

watchdog56

Just did Kummoks recipe this weekend with coho and lake trout. First i filleted fish then took skin off like Kummok said in my recent post. Then I tried to get out as many bones as I could. I soaked in brine for 24 hours in frig. Then I put on sprayed bradley jerky rack's and the fish did not stick at all. Very little clean up. Put in frig overnight to form pellicle. Took out in AM and let air dry on counter. Preheated smoker to 130 then turned down to 120 for 2 hours. Because I goofed on my timing (would not be around in afternoon so I wanted to get smoke done before I left because of predicted rain)I started one hour of smoke on the last of the 120 setting then added another hour of smoke at 140 with cabinet set at 140 for 4 hours then bumped up to 170 for 2 hours. Outside temp was 85 and humid. Kept vent full open. When I came home smoker was off and PID was beeping telling me cycle was done. Fish came out great but I think I may cut cayenne in 1/2 next time as some pieces seemed a little more spicy than others but not as bad as I thought it would be.
My suggestion is use recipe just cut cayenne in 1/2 and you probably won't even notice it. Hoping to post pictures tonight when I get home under my posting (Salmon question)
Good luck to you.

Habanero Smoker

I understand now. I thought you were making jerky, another recipe version of candied salmon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chiroken

I do plan on making salmon jerky at some point. Not this time though...

StickyDan

I haven't tried that recipe but in the past I've found my salmon to be a tadd bit salty after brining.  Rinsing should help cut the salty, unless that's waht your looking for.