Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs

Started by StickyDan, July 24, 2010, 04:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

Well, I was running short on time so I decided not to stuff the chicken.  I meranaded the chicken thighs in Zesty Italian dressing, garlic, green onions, herbs/spices, seasoning salt and some white wine.  I wrapped em all up with some bacon and tossed in the smoker.  My smoker was preheated to 315 and dropped to about 170 when i put the chicken it.  It's been a about an hour and it's still only at about 199.  Weird because it usually recovers much faster than that.  I'll post more pics when it's done.

TestRocket

That amount of chicken is giving up a lot of moisture so keep the vent wide open and good luck. It sure looks good!

StickyDan

Here's the finished product.  I cooked on high heat with Mesquite, oak and cherry.  Turns out that YES you can have a grease fire inside the BDS.  Good thing I was sitting right next to the smoker when it started.   Ended up being pretty tasty.

classicrockgriller

SD, they look very nice.

Is everything ok in the smoker?

TestRocket

Fire marshal Dan to the rescue! Your chicken looks good!

StickyDan

Yeah the smoker is fine.  Luckily I caught it right away when I noticed a different smell so I opened the door to take a look.  I was shocked to see the entire V tray on fire.  I closed the vent and that seemed to do the trick.  No real damage to speak of although the cab temp jumped to about 300 after the fire.  I wish I could have taken a picture.  Note to self, get a fire extinguisher. 

Habanero Smoker

Sorry to hear about the fire. Glad you were there to prevent damage. Now you can say the chicken was charbroiled.

Now that I am rereading your post, the low rise in temperature may have been due to build up on the "V" tray. That could have clogged the vents, trapped the heat allowing it to built up under the "V" tray.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)