• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

need help with chicken for party

Started by Eat This, June 16, 2005, 11:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eat This

This Sunday I have been the chosen one to bring some smoked chicken to a Birthday party. My mother in law wants me to try beer butt chicken. I plan on cooking 4 whole birds and thought I would try 2 beer butts and do 2 a different way. Here is my dilema....I have done ribs, brisket, but but never a chicken. I have searched and found that the skin may be rubbery which is no big deal to me as we will probablt discard them.....I really dont feel like (Dont know how to debone or butterfly these birds) so I need some help with a general gameplan on smoking 4 whole birds. I dont post alot..I mainly read but I cant find alot of info on the beer butt thing so I am feeling the pressure...can anyone take a few minutes and give me a general gameplan of cooking temps, wood, etc???? Thanks

the other Kirk

Habanero Smoker

Here are a few thoughts. I'm sure many others will be sharing their experiences.

If you are bringing them to a party, I am guessing that you are planning to smoke them ahead of time. I did a search on this forum and came up with several suggestions on beer can chicken, such as this http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1344 . If you do a search on the internet, you will get thousands of recipes, which will give you plenty of ideas, which you can adapted for use in the BS.

It is best to get 3 - 4 pound roasters (fryers will also work), and if available get kosher chickens - they remain moist and you don't have to brine them. You can get 4 whole chickens in the smoker at once, but I would not advise that. Chicken gives off a lot of moisture, which will keep you cabinet temperature down. If you keep your vent about 1/2 open, you will avoid rubbery skin. My skin turns out alright, but it is not crisp.

This site give good instructions and a video on butterflying a chicken http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/butterflychicken.html , but you can also smoke the remaining two whole. Two will fit on each tray. Or you can do a batch of chicken parts; instead of whole chickens.

If you do them ahead of time, do not foil them right after you take them out of the BS. Let them for about 30 minutes, then place them uncovered in the refrigerator, when they are cool you can wrap them in foil, and reheat latter. When you reheat, remove them from the foil, and place a foil tent over them.

I usually apply 3 hours of smoke, and smoke at 210 degrees F. That's my preference, but the suggested smoking temperature for chicken is 220-250, which you should use until you get use to smoking chicken. I use different woods, depending on my taste at the moment. I've used apple, hickory, combination of hickory mesquite, and pecan all with good results; pecan is a safe bet. Smoke until an internal meat temperature of 165 is reached, measured at the thickest part of the thigh.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

Beer butt will take up the space of two racks, maybe 3 if you Texas size the birds. You should be able to fit 2 on a rack. The other 2 are gonna have to be hacked. If you don't know how, tell the butcher where you buy it what you want.

I would put the buttchicks on the bottom & the parts on top, that way they'll probably be done about the same time. If you want the skin crisp, open up the top vent 1/2, 3/4 or maybe even full. You won't know 'till you're there.

Dry rub them at least 12 hrs before smoking. Remove from fridge & place on counter 30-45 mins before placing in smoker. Use a probe thermometer in the middle of the beast so you know when they're REALLY done. Don't overcook as they will rise 5 degrees during the resting period.

4-5 hrs at 220 is probably good, but allow for 6, you can always turn the temp down & hold them. Again, internal temp is everything. Wood-wise, it's all a personal taste issue. If you have not done this before I would suggest 9 pucks of hickory. Basic wood, not too much smoke IMO but I like smoke. Maple, pecan, oak, cherry & apple would all work but have slightly different profiles.

Buy "Smoke & Spice" by Bill & Cheryl Jamison. Fantastic book! (And no, we don't sell it!) Hope that helps & have a great party.[:)]

1st Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, ET.  Hab and Chez' advice is right on the money.  The only thing I would add is that if you really want a crispy skin, take the chickens of the smoker when the internal temp of the thigh is 155-10 and put the birds in the oven at 350 for about 15-20 min

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

If you use the smaller birds and split them in half you should be able to fit 2 per rack.  By spliting them you will reduce cook time and get a nice smokey flavor.  cook at 240-250f for 2-3 hrs.  I like apple for my chicken.  Need help on how to split them?  Watch this video.  Video.  This video was done by a friend of mine who is a retired butcher.  Have fun and Happy Smokin'.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

I'm with jeff on this.  The bottom line is that the birds will get cut up anyway.  The chicken will still come out good and moist and have the same desried effect AND it may be easier with company coming over-considering it is a bunch of <s>out</s>in-laws.  May I suggest that you open the vent up and turn up the heat the last hour or so of cooking to help give the skin a more desire look/results.  Have a raging time with that MIL for me-will ya.  That is what I deam about---spending the Sunday with my MIL.  May there be peace in the valley this Sunday...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Have a raging time with that MIL for me-will ya.  That is what I deam about---spending the Sunday with my MIL.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
TFF![:D][:D]

I've got a few extra bullets laying around if you need me to send one to you.[:D][:D] (For you, not her. I never would want to insinuate murder, just pain relief!)[;)][:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?