It's here!

Started by Uncle Pigfat, July 29, 2010, 03:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Pigfat

So I received my new BDS yesterday and seasoned it last night.  Since I was just running some pucks through, I figured I'd experiment a little so I took my probes and clipped one the the front of a rack and the other to the back.  I put it on the second slot from the bottom and let it season.  I was surprised to see that both probes stayed within 1* of each other pretty much the entire time.  What gives?  Is it just because there was no meat?  The BDS temp reader read between 8 to 10 degrees hotter than my probes the entire time with the exception of the first 10 to 15 minutes.  I anticipate that changing with meat but still not being trustworthy.

Either way, I'm much happier with the construction of the bds over the obs.  I still love my obs but I don't want to feel paranoid about the door coming off every time I pick it up.  I still underwhelmed with the hinges and wish they weren't mostly plastic, but at least it's anchored solidly.

classicrockgriller

Have two BDS and no problems!

You will have some temp swings expecially in the first part of your

cooks, but they all settle down.

Congrats on the New Smoker.

Gizmo

Quote from: Uncle Pigfat on July 29, 2010, 03:34:04 PM
I was surprised to see that both probes stayed within 1* of each other pretty much the entire time.  What gives?  Is it just because there was no meat?

The temp differences being close are directly related to no load in my opinion and experience.  The built in temp sensor is also pretty accurate without a load.  When you put meat in the box, it obstructs the heat rising and changes the temperature dynamics which is why most use the remote probes in the meat and near the meat for a more accurate temp reading. 

I actually don't use a probe when doing a rack or two of ribs.  If using 1 or 2 trays, I keep them above the sensor and feel the built in sensor is close enough for Ribs.  When doing 3 trays, I put 1 tray below the sensor and 2 above.  Still close enough in temp for ribs.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/