Beef Tenderloin

Started by SnellySmokesEm, February 25, 2010, 11:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

So I have made beef tenderloin in the past but I would like to see if anyone on the forum has any great recipes.  I have trimmed the beef tenderloin of some of the fat and the chain.  In  the past I have pan seared it and then roasted in the oven until it was med rare (more on the rare side).  I usually just do a basic rub of EVOO salt and pepper, garlic and Montreal Seasoning.

I am anxious to see what everyone has to say. I am preparing this at a friends house so no ES for the tenderlion.  :( Thanks!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

ArnieM

I pretty much go with what you've described.  To sear or not to sear - I haven't noticed any difference in the finished product.

I go light on the seasoning because I want to taste the beef.  If I use S, P and G, I don't use any steak seasoning and the other way around as well.  The Montreal IS basically salt, pepper, garlic and spices so why add salt, pepper and garlic besides?

I sometimes tie the tenderloin up to get a more round shape for evener cooking unless it's already pretty round.

I save any meat I can from the chain.  It works great for fajitas.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks Arnie -
I do tie up the beef as well.  And the chain is very flavorful.  I have not used it in fajitas but have used it in Beef Stroganoff and it turned out great.
BBQ Evangelist

JimmyKid

All,
I am planning on smoking a 5-6 lb. beef tenderloin and have a question on timing.  I have smoked a 2 pounder awhile back and cooked it at 210 degrees for approximately 4 hours to an internal temperature of 156 degrees.  This came out med rare and well smoked. Most recipe books say to smoke it at that temperature for 1 1/2 to 2 hours for an internal temp of 145. This seems way too short a time for a 5-6 pound tenderloin to reach that temperature, and also too short to achieve a good smoke flavor. Timing for this size tenderloin is critical for I have a large group coming for dinner.  Any Advice would be very much appreciated.
JimmyKid

TestRocket

Cut that thing into 2 inch steaks and throw them on the grill. I cut the chain into strips and sauté along with mushrooms and onions pick your favorite cheese along with a good bun or roll make a steak sandwich. 

hal4uk

JK, a 2 lb beef tenderloin sounds awful small... Are you sure the last one you did wasn't a section of a tenderloin?
Also, 156 degrees sounds high for MR  (?) 

One thing you want to be sure of is to trim it properly.
Use a very sharp knife and closely trim away all the "silver" (the shiny stringy stuff).  You can't CHEW that.
On the thick end, you need to really work down in there in spots, as the silver runs all through it there.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

For cuts like beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, and pork loins I generally will only use 1:40 - 2:00 hours of smoke. Those cuts have more surface to mass ratio, so you have a larger area to apply smoke. I take it that the 4 hours of smoke turned out well for you.

If timing is critical and you want the smoke flavor. Season the tenderloin as you normally would and cold smoke it ahead of time for a few hours. Then wrap tightly and refrigerate until you are ready to cook it on a grill or in the oven. That way you have better time management.

Or if you want to apply the 4 hours of smoke, cold smoking for that long may not be safe. I would start it 4.5 hour prior to you planning on serving,  use a lower the cooking temperature to 200°F. If the meat reaches 135°F and it is to early, I would tightly wrap it and put it back into the smoker to keep warm. Then shortly before you plan to serve, unwarp and finish in a preheated 400°F oven, until you are a couple of degrees before your desired temperature. This will give it a nice crust and bring the internal temperature up quickly, so you will need to monitor this closely. Also in the final stage, make sure you take into consideration of the time it will take in the oven (probably less then 10 minutes), and the time the meat needs to rest; about another 15 minutes.

I agree with Hal, 156 is high for tenderloin. That temperature is considered medium by USDA standards, and medium well done by most chefs. I would go with the 145°F. Though I like mine around 135°F - 140°F; which I consider medium rare.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

Hi JimmyKid,

I agree that 156 sounds high.  Either that's the way you like it or your meat thermometer is off  ;D  Check your meat probe in boiling water, tip only.

The last one I did was called "untrimmed" and believe me, they meant it.  A lot of trimming was required.

This is what I would do (did) but it's only a suggestion.

Get the meat out of the fridge.  Preheat the smoker.  A little S&P on the meat with a touch of garlic powder if you like it.

1:40 of oak.  Continue to cook at 215-225 for an IT of 130.  Remove, foil and towel for an hour or so.

Unwrap and put into a preheated 400 degree oven to get an IT of 145 or so. Let it rest no more than about 10 minutes.  It has already rested for for an hour in the FT.

Slice in 1/4 inch slices.  Maybe drizzle some horseradish cream sauce and serve more on the side.

It worked for me.  :D
-- Arnie

JimmyKid

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the sage advice to this beginner on the beef tenderloin. I like the idea of smoking it to an IT a bit short of 145 then FTC until I am ready to finish it off in the oven. That should take the timing stress out of it with a hungry crowd.
I appreciate all your help.
JimmyKid

hal4uk

JK, if you're going to FTC it a while, I wouldn't take it above 135 - the IT will rise while it's FTC'd.
Tenderloin ain't near as big around as, say a rib roast, and it's easy to overcook (read:RUIN).
Be careful.   ;)
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

JimmyKid

Hal4uk,
Good advice, thanks. One more stupid question for everyone: Has anyone cooked an untrimmed BT? If the chain is so flavorful, why not leave it on (disregarding the not so attractive aesthetics, that is)?
JimmyKid

hal4uk

JK, in one of my previous lives, I was the kitchen manager at fine dining establishment.
Often, I played general manager as well (so the owner could breathe a bit)  I did all of of the purchasing (aside from liquor), and I trimmed and cooked a LOT of tenderloin.  So, I purchased the beef, trimmed the beef, charbroiled the beef, and if the waitron units didn't move it out promptly...  I even served it.  Imagine the look on patrons faces --- a soot-covered guy in an apron walks up, "Who had the medium-rare NY Strip?"...  (But, I digress)

Anyhow, I would throw the chains on the cooler part of the charbroiler, and roll them around for hours, careful not to really burn them.  Had to juggle them quite a bit as I was cooking hundreds of steaks, chicken, shrimp, fish, whatever dinners at the same.  When the "rush" was over, I'd splash butter and some seaonings on them, chop 'em into chunks, and me and my "boyz" would gobble 'em up.  They were WELL DONE, of course, but it was the slow (all evening) cooking that made them chewable (and don't get me wrong -- they were tasty!).  Nevertheless, I'm just sayin'...  You can't trim the chain.  So low and slow is the only way to make it edible.  With the main tenderloin, you sure as heck don't wanna cook it to death --- OMG!!!  So, please just trust me on this one --- Trim your tenderloin.  You can't chew that silver.

Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

SnellySmokesEm

Hal - The chain is almost my favorite part of the tenderloin just because I can make so many different things from it.  I usually save mine and make beef strogonoff from it.  Man just the thought of that has me salivating....   :P 
BBQ Evangelist

ArnieM

I use the chain for fajitas.
-- Arnie