Beef Short Ribs

Started by GusRobin, July 25, 2010, 04:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

To continue to feed my beef addiction, made some short ribs. Marinated them for two days (only because I was going to do this yesterday but ended up doing something else.)
Used a marinade made from KC Masterpiece Steakhouse marinade and Jack Daniels. Used left over marinade to mop every 1/2 hr or so.
Added a rub made with dark brown sugar (4 tbsp) black pepper (1 tbsp) and Mesquite seasoning (1 tbsp).
Forgot to take pics before it went in, but put it in at 225F with 2 1/2 hrs of oak.
Here is a pic when I opened it to mop. For those concerned with losing smoke when leaving the vent open, I cook with it wide open and you can see the smoke that is still retained in the smoker.

Here is a picture after the smoke has cleared. The gloves are probably the best thing I bought in a while. Makes holding the racks to mop very easy and cleaning them is a snap. Since they are high temp I just pour some liquid soap and put it under the hot water just like washing my hands.

The finished product. Took about 3 hours and they were great.  Like I said, I am addicted to beef and usually prefer beef ribs (long or short) to pork ribs.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

They look very good there Gus! I can see having a permitted home for the smoker is a big plus and one I need to correct one day soon.

Smokin Soon

Very nice looking bones there!  ;D

ArnieM

They look really good Gus and I'm also a fan of beef short ribs.  The problem is they're danged expensive around here; not much less than an NY strip.

Now you have me salivating.  I'll have to check with my butcher to see what he can do.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Gus, you are just a cooking machine.

I Learn something (or remembered what I forgot) everytime you smoke.

Very nicely done.

Caneyscud

Another mopper - does my heart good! 

I've got a 5 hour contest coming in three weeks.  I've been thinking about short ribs for the beef catagory.  You have just about convinced me that is where I need to go. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

hal4uk

I'm a pork guy (aside from grilled beef)
But, dang, Gus...  Those look delicious!
Hmm...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

TestRocket

A 5 hour contest is something new to me (and I'm sure others too). Please fill us in?

Caneyscud

Quote from: TestRocket on July 28, 2010, 02:59:30 PM
A 5 hour contest is something new to me (and I'm sure others too). Please fill us in?

Well, it's really a 4 to 5.5 hour contest - I say 5 as an average.  For some reason, there are - or used to be - several one-day contests around town.  Couple fireplace/grill shops have one as well as other churches and not-for-profits.  This one usually has 20 to 30 teams (don't have room for more) in conjunction with our Church Picnic.  We have teams from the church, other churches, the Police and Fire departments, Chamber etc..    Most of us are bbqer's with trailer rigs and a smattering of BGE', Primos, and UDS's. but there is usually a grill or two.  Obviously not a sanctioned event, but we do use KCBS Judges.  The short time is because it is held on a Sunday, and we can't set up until 12:30 after it has cleared for the last church service.  Usually have 2 or 3 thousand people attend.  Chicken turns in at 4:30, Beef at 5:00, Pork at 5:30 and Ribs at 6:00.  The rules allow for pre-cooking, but everything has to finish on the smoker/grill/rig.  Chicken is no problem, as well as ribs.  But I usually do a brisket and a steak for beef and pick which is best.  The brisket I do the night before to 180, stick in a cooler before leaving for church and then put it back on to finish to 185 or so.  Same with a Butt.  I usually do a butt and some sort of country style rib or loin and pick which is best.  But this year I'm thinking about short ribs or ox-tail for beef.  The ox-tail usually takes longer than 4.5 hours - so some precooking is warranted.  Have to figure out how to do a turn-in box of ox-tails.  They don't look all that scrumptous to most people, so will have to pick the meat.  Sure is some good tasting meat though.  I've gotten 2nds in beef and chicken in the last two years - year before 1st in "All other meats" category.  I want a first in beef or ribs.  

TestRocket

Sounds like a great one day fund raiser with some great food to boot. I vote for the beef short ribs over the ox –tail and agree about the worry over the presentation! But if it is that tasty, prepare it also and work on the presentation as a practice run. Is garnish allowed? It may help? I wish you luck! And let us know how it comes out.

Caneyscud

Yeh, I'm actually leaning toward short ribs also.  In the last year I've done more ox-tail than short ribs though - actually probably been 5 years since I've done short ribs on a smoker.  Short ribs did win beef a couple of years ago though.  Garnish is pretty much KCBS, green lettuce, curly parsley, flat parsley, cilantro.   It is pretty fun.  Lots of good-natured ribbing going on between the teams.

MarkSchn

Doing Beef short ribs today.  What was the total, in Bradley, time in smoker?  You mentioned 2 1/2 hours of smoke and 3 hours to complete.  I'm assuming 3 total hours, but that seems so short.

Mark