• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Wacko behavior from my Bradley

Started by johnhardy1, August 14, 2010, 12:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnhardy1

Im expecting to have to send the smoker unit in on Monday for repairs.  If anyone has had any kind of similar problem with their out of warranty unit Im anxious to know how much the repair cost you. I imagine that the circuit board will have to be replaced.

Ok here are the issues:

1- Pressing "Oven Temp Set" then pressing the down arrow causes a puck to advance but pressing the up arrow changes the temp to a higher setting as its supposed to.

2- Pressing "Oven Timer Set" then pressing the down arrow causes the smoker to turn OFF but pressing the up arrow changes the oven timer to a higher setting as its supposed to.

3- Pressing "Smoker Timer Set" then pressing the down arrow causes the smoker to turn OFF but pressing the up arrow changes the smoker timer to a higher setting as its supposed to.

I keep my 6 rack Bradley on a dry covered porch and it also has nylon cover over it.  It has never gotten wet. I have only used it 5 times and is about a year and a half old  I opened up the smoker but all I found were some wood specks and dust.  A friend of mine bought it as a present for me about 2 months after he bought his.  He ended up having problems with his smoker unit too...I believe it constantly advanced pucks.  If anyone can spread more light on this I sure would be appreciative.  Nonetheless I certainly am going to call Bradley on Monday.  Wish me luck!

-John

KyNola

Never heard of that issue before.  Sounds like the control board is FUBARed.  Call Bradley and ask to speak with Brian.  He will make it right.

johnhardy1

Yeah Im just wondering what the cost will be.  What does a new smoker unit sell for I wonder?  If its close to the repair cost maybe that'd make more sense though all this stuff is Made in China and I've never been impressed with the quality of anything Made in China except uh...china. Id almost rather it be Hecho en Mexico!  :D

TestRocket

Sorry to hear about all your troubles there John and sorry I can't offer any ideas (I have the OBS). Good luck!     

SouthernSmoked

Hello John,

Hey KyNola gave some good advice here, call Brian at Bradley Toll Free: (800) 665-4188. He is very good and should be able to help you.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Bradley (Head Office)

Hello John

Your problem could be caused by the display panel itself or one of the circuts in the control panel, lets try the easy one first
open the generator and unplug the white ribbon(flat) cable, check each end of the ribbon cable for any corrosion pay close attention to the pins
I think there is 11 of them also make sure they are securely pushed into the plastic connector.

Brian

johnhardy1

Yep unplugged connector a few times.  Im no stranger to ribbon cables as Ive been building PC's for years and currently work on electric scooters and power wheelchairs.  Sometimes Ive come across where the pins or the female slots can get pushed away from the connector but I dont see that.  Everything looks fine. Should I call you tomorrow?

johnhardy1

Talked with Brian who in turn had Frank call me to settle my problem.  Good to see a company stand behind their products!

TestRocket

Bradley (Head Office)

Quote from: TestRocket on August 16, 2010, 03:30:02 PM
What do they think the problem is?

Without the unit being on my bench to test my best guess was the display panel itself
so we are sending him a new one hopefully this solves the problem.

Brian

TestRocket

Thanks Bradley customer service! You're the best!

KyNola

SouthernSmoked

Bradley customer service is the best!

Thanks once again Brian!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers