2 Briskets and a Butt

Started by bundy, August 15, 2010, 03:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

Hi Folks, Going to cook up 2 briskets and a 10# butt for wedding rehersal supper. Any thoughts on the time this might take on my 6 rack? Temp? Thanks in Advance

classicrockgriller

bundy, am starting the same smoke at about 6 tonite.

Only difference might be is that my 6 racker is dual elements and running a pid.

bundy

I have the same set up CRG, let me know how it goes............
Thanks

classicrockgriller

I usually smoke my butts and briskets at 225 but tonite I am using 215 and

plan on pulling brisket out for FTC at 180* and the butt out at 190*.

bundy

My meal needs to be ready to eat at around 6:00 P.M. Friday night, should I take 1 or 2 days off??? Also CRG, what would your choice of working beverage be on this type of cook out? Can't wait to see how yours turn out.

classicrockgriller

If you have a start time of 8 pm thursday till 2 pm friday ..... that is 18 hrs and that will leave you 4 hrs of FTC.

If you run over (I don't think you will) shorter FTC. If you get done earlier FTC longer.

But you can take off Thursday too if you want. ;D

Working Beverage? ;D Cold DP on Ice with additives. Almost as good as the smoked food.

DTAggie

bundy

CRG, How did your smoke go? Total time?

Yes I can see where it's important to have the correct additives. Mine is VDP

classicrockgriller

Here's where mine went down.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17431.0

To be sure you will be finished and not rushed, I would allow myself

26 hrs (Which includes your FTC time) at 225* and no peeking!

bundy

Thanks CRG, hope it comes out 1/2 as good as yours did! And happy anniversary!!!

beefmann

bundy

3 1/2 hour mark and the IT is at 130*, seems high to me, hope they don't get done while I'm down for the night.
Put probes in all 3, turned the racks around and added hot water to the pan, hope they will be OK over night.

bundy

Thought I would give an update, 10# Butt was done at 6a.m., 13 hours....Briskets are showing around 155* and 170* for the smaller one after 14 hours.

classicrockgriller

What? You must have gotten that secret super smoker!

EZ Smoker

Y'know, that's happened to me before too.  I put a 9.85-pound butt in the smoker at 2:15 am, aiming at 190 IT.   Had to leave the house around 1 pm or so... Got back at 2:15 pm and the butt was at 197 IT.   Yikes.   I FTC'd it for 5 hours until we were hungry.  

But that is highly unusual.   Most of the time it takes a lot longer.  I think the difference is just the individual pig.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.