Pork Loin recipe

Started by DesertRed, August 18, 2010, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRed

New to the website/new owner of bradley digital smoker.  Need a good pork loin recipe...any ideas on temp/time.

ArnieM

Hi DesertRed and welcome to the forum.

I don't know what you're dealing with.  A whole boneless loin would run 9+ pounds.  A center cut loin might run 3.5-4.5 pounds.  It makes a difference in cooking time but probably not as much as one might expect.

I would brine it overnight in a simple brine - one gallon of water, one cup of Kosher salt and one half cup of sugar.  Of course you can add sage, thyme or whatever else you like in there.  Give it a rinse and dry it prior to smoking.

I prefer apple on loin but use whatever smoke you like/have.  I run around 220-225 in the smoker.

Keep a real close eye on the IT.  It can go up real fast.

Variation one:  Cook to an IT of 145-150.  Foil and towel for an hour or so.  Then put it into a 400 degree oven to finish it and crisp it up some.

Variation two:  Cook to 140 and FT it.  Then cut it into decent size chops and finish them on a grill.  Example:

If the meat has been brined, I don't add any salt.  A little pepper and granulated garlic should do it.

Lastly, keep notes.  If you like it, you can do it again.  If not, figure out what to modify to get it to your taste.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Hi DesertRed;
Welcome to the forum.

I don't brine my loins when I cook them as a roast, but if you do brine check the package first to make sure that you have not purchased "enhanced" pork. Enhanced pork is already injected with a brine.

I use the same cooking temperature as Arnie, but I will only take my loins to 142°F, and I never FTC loins; it will tend to bring the internal temperature of the meat too high; unless you take them out much earlier. My go to bisquette for pork is pecan; using two hours on loins.

Besides some of the recipe ideas Arnie has given you, can also do a search on this board for some recipe; or the internet. Most loin recipes can be easily modified for your smoker. A favorite style is to butterfly the loin and stuff it, or some just split it to stuff. One member came up with a unique idea of using copper tubing to make a hole through the center of the loin and then he stuffed it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

welcome to the forum desert  red and enjoy lots of good  people here

DesertRed

Thanks for the info....will try it out and see woat I like the best

TestRocket

I see you have plenty of ideas on the pork so let me just add be careful with your vent. Never close it all the way. Moisture can become a problem for the electronics. Many of us just leave it open all the way all the time down to half way or so. Fully open with chicken, good luck!