Brisket demistified by Raichlen

Started by lumpy, August 18, 2010, 02:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

beefmann

good information.. need to keep that  handy

KyNola

Saved that.  Thanks Lumpy!

Just happen to have a Snake River Farms Wagyu brisket in the freezer.  Darn the luck, ;)

Caneyscud

Sorry Lumpy - not directed in any way toward you - just a rant against so-called self-proclaimed experts.  I used to know pitmasters (the public will never know their name and Oprah will never have them on her show) who knew more about brisket in just their little toe than Raichlen will ever know - they did them day in day out for decades.  They did not need some Cordon Bleu trained, James Beard award winner to tell them how to make brisket.  They smoked, people came, people bought, people ate, and people loved it.  

Maybe he needs demistified - he says to separate the deckle from the flat.  Per the USDA Institutional Meat Purchasing Standard- the deckle has already been removed from a whole brisket to make a "packer trimmed" brisket.  The deckle deckle is the hard fat and intercostal meat on the inside surface of a "whole" brisket.  I'm not saying this - the USDA is saying it - contrary to popular belief, the deckle is not the same thing as the brisket point. Rather, it's the fat and muscle that attach the brisket flat to the rib cage.  BTW a "whole" brisket is not the same as a "packer" brisket. 

Demistified Brisket ?????  From what perspective?   Apparently the  man either has never been to the Brisket Belt, or didn't keep notes, or was blind to how the pros who do brisket everyday do it!  I've seen a lot of the top rated pits and I've never seen fancy rubs, bacon wrapping, foiling, or mixtures of wood in any of them.  You get that on the contest circuit and backyards.  Cater to the KCBS trained judges.  Good food certainly - but "demistified"?  What's to demistify?  You take a hunk of meat, put some seasonings on, smoke it until it's done, and then you slice and eat.  Where's the mystery?  What is hard to understand.  The same thing is done to butts and ribs - do they need demistifying also?

Lets see born in Maryland, living in Florida and Massachusetts, college in Portland, Oregon, Le Cordon Bleu and La Varenne in Paris.  Yep, he can certainly "demistify" brisket.  

Not to say he can't make a good brisket - h. e. double hockey sticks I even bought a can of his highly over-priced Java Rub once and used it on a brisket.  Wasn't bad - but did not get a walk.   But to say he demistifies brisket - come on!  I've seen the same and better instructions here on this forum - and better explanations.  AND with no marketing!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mow_delon

Gee Caneyscud, a little pent-up rage towards Raichlen? 

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Caneyscud on August 20, 2010, 09:23:18 AM
Is my slip showing?

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Awwww come on Caney.... tell us what you really think!  ::)  ;D

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

PS
I couldn't agree more... there's always a lot of "experts" in the world, just ask them!  ::)

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Uncle Pigfat

When I read this at work it pretty much made my day.  Thanks Caney.  That kind of vitriol warms my heart.