Question about Kummoks Salmon

Started by StickyDan, August 10, 2010, 07:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

Just picked up 2 whole fresh sockeye salmons from costco for a pretty decent price.  I'm thinking about using kummoks recipe but I have a few questions.
- would you smoke sockeye or prepare it a different way?
- how does this salmon turn out?  Is it more jerky like (eat as a snack) or is it something you eat for dinner like you would any other fish?
- Should I cut the fish into steaks or should I fillet it and cut into smaller stips?
Thanks, Im sure I'll have more questions later.

FLBentRider

I've done kummoks recipe.

If you follow the instructions the pieces will be "snack size"

the important thing is to have all the pieces a consistent size, so they will smoke evenly.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

watchdog56

I have done both ways. I cut up in small pieces and everyone liked it. It was a more candied flavor and jerky type. When I left the fillet whole it seemed to take on a more normal smoked fish taste,good but I liked the smaller recipe better.

bilder

Kummoks fish is like jerky, but better.  My recipe is very similar and the technique is the same.  Just try and have one piece, you will not be able to.   A couple fillets will vanish very quickly. :)

tsquared

I do the pieces for snacky type food, and whole fillets in the same brine recipe when I am going to smoke, then can the fish. Sockeye fishing is crazy good right now, so I am doing more fishing and freezing than smoking--but the freezer is getting full so I will have to fire up the smoker soon. I am going out this am for 8 more socks.
T2

Kummok

Sorry for delayed response....just got back from a week up in Copper River Valley, (collecting Copper River Reds and Alaskan Silver Sage...yuuummm!)..... can't really add much to what's already been said...definitely a snack food preparation but I also use it in several dishes using a sweet salmon element, aka fish eggs

chiroken

I recently did Kummok's recipe for spring salmon in quite large strips. Was awesome! Next time the strips with be thinner, simply to cut down the time I need to be around to complete the smoke. I 1/2 the cayenne concerned with the spicy-ness and wasn't spicy (hot) at all.

I have 14 filets of pink salmon brining as we speak, Kummok's version (both times used teriyaki) full strength cayenne. Should be smoked tomorrow if all goes well.

This is definitely a snack food moreso than the main dish of a meal. Having said that, you could easily eat enough at one sitting of this stuff to fill you up!  ;)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

StickyDan

Thanks for the replies guys. I kinda figured it would be more of a snack judging by the recipe.  I'm gonna try it this weekend. 
Any one have a smoked salmon "dinner" type recipe?  You know,  for another time.