• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Two heat element mod question for Habanero Smoker

Started by JDNC, August 21, 2010, 04:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

I was reading a thread from Hab about using a switch for one element in a two heating element mod.  Question for Hab..are both elements using the slide switch?  I know this mod requires the use of a PID but was wondering if the slide was in the circuit and if so, have you experienced any problems with the current draw through this circuit board?

JD

Habanero Smoker

Hi JDNC;

I wired mine so that only the original element is being controlled by the slide temperature controller. There is at least one member that wired both through the circuit board, but I can't recall who or if he had any problems doing that. It you wire through the circuit, then I would also add an additional high temperature sensor and inline fuse for the second element. Here is how TestRocket added his, but note he did not hook up the second element through the slider switch:
Adding Additional Temp. Sensor & Inline Fuse

I'm using the rocker switch to turn on/off the second element only. I wanted to set it up this way, because there are times I don't need to hook up my DigiQ II, and I don't need the extra heat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TestRocket

JD,

When I did my mod I did think that there should be a way to put in a second slider switch instead of the rocker switch. There isn't enough room in the face plate so finding a place to mount it would the challenge (hobby box maybe).

Good luck

JDNC

Hab & TestRocket,

I don't know if I'll tackle this mod or not...but if I do I think I'll use the rocker switch with a different circuit bypassing the slider circuit.  I just don't know if two burners will cause more of a hot spot in the rear of the cabinet and I really don't want to tackle the fan mod.  I really haven't had a real problem but would like the advantage of a quick recovery after opening the door.  I have to admit I dread opening the door to empty or add water so I'll probably add the extra burner.

Thanks

TestRocket

Two thoughts:
#1 I use a PID to control and maintain cabinet temperature while running both elements and I'm happy with that setup!

#2 when I envisioned doing my mod I also had in mind that I could switch on and off the second element to help with recovery while watching any and all temperature probes to keep my cabinet temperature well below the manufactures spec of 280 degs. This would be like old school smoking where your have your eyes on the temp gauge every 15 minutes or so. (Disclaimer: Never run dual elements in a Bradley smoker without a PID and (or) constant (sober) adult supervision as it may (or might be) a fire hazard!  ;D

Habanero Smoker

I just want to clarify something. When I read your initial post, I understood you were thinking of running both elements through the same circuit board. Or were you thinking of adding an additional circuit board to control the second element? As you mentioned in your first post, and TestRocket reiterated, the use of a temperature control device such as a PID or the DigiQ II is highly recommended.

I ran my OBS for about five years prior to adding my second element, and I haven't noticed any difference in hot spots.  With the dual elements you are applying more heat energy for a shorter time to bring it to your ideal cooking temperature.

Are are links to instructions for the modification that may be easier to follow:
Additional Heating Element

Additional Heating Element with On/Off Switch

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JDNC

Habs,

I was planning to do the mod as you have but I thought if I could use the slide switch to control both it might be better, safety wise (if I sell or die or someone uses it without a PID not knowing about the mod).  After really thinking this through..even if both elements were controlled by the slide I would probably still have to use my PID to control the temps as two elements would heat-up quick and cool off slow.  I quess what I'm saying is I really don't see an advantage to wiring the extra element through the slide switch now.  I'm going to use my PID anyway and as you said if something goes wrong with my PID I can switch off the extra element and use my slide to control the unit.  Yard&Pool are out of elements and have some backordered, hope they come in soon.
JD

JDNC

TestRocket,

After your mod did you notice a difference in how the two elements glowed (one brighter than the other)?  I think I read in one of the mod threads that two new elements were recommended for the mod.

JD

TestRocket

JDNC,

Yes, the new element is a little brighter than the one that came with the OBS but my unit was only 6 months old and I have no problem getting and maintaining temp. But hey, if you bought two you would have your old one as a backup!

dAWGS

i have a question.   if you install a second element with a rocker switch and just put the second element on and the original element at its lowest setting on the slide....what temps will you reach?

Habanero Smoker

I have to make this statement, "Installing the second element without controlling it with a PID is not recommended."

To answer your question, you won't get much higher temperature then if you had a single element. With the slider all the way to the left, that cuts almost all power to the element, you may get some warmth but not much that will add to the cabinet heat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

dAWGS

on a scale of 1 to 10.    how hard is the overall mod to do?

Habanero Smoker

If you have the right tools, I would say it is about a 5. The hardest part for me was drilling the holes in the reflector. As long as you take your time, mark the wires before you start installing, and take plenty of digital pictures prior to unhooking anything, it will go smoothly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TestRocket

I concur: Getting the new element into the reflector was the hardest part. I drilled it and then used a rat tail file (round file) and worked on the holes until I could bend the reflector back enough to get it to fit inside. The next hardest part was grinding a notch in the ceramic element holders for the wires to fit. I was worried about breaking them so I took it a little at a time. After that it was just the wiring and I did install the rocker switch. If your handy with your hands and have access to a variety of tools, understand a little about AC I would say it is a 4-6 for most of us! Good Luck!

beefmann

test rocket and others ,

what you might consider  is adding another PID  to control the  second element,

Panasonic makes a PID with 6 outputs, that  could control 6 different items,,

http://pewa.panasonic.com/automation-controls/plc/fp-impulse-controller/specifications/

here is the link to the data sheet