Getting ready to try my hand at brisket

Started by Uncle Pigfat, August 18, 2010, 09:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

UPF,
Sam's Club doesn't understand their labeling procedures either!  Last "flat" I purchased from them proved to a full packer when I got it out of the packaging where I could really inspect it.

Your brisket is looking real good.

I've had a few of those middle of the night panic episodes myself. :D

Pachanga

UPF,

It looks like you are right on target.  Your probe is about where I stick mine (be sure you are in meat and not in the fat ribbon which may sneak down in that area on a packer).  At about 185 IT, stick a long tine fork in the very tip of the flat and twist .  If it comes apart easily, I pull and FTC.  The rest of the brisket will catch up.  You will soon learn to judge a brisket by the feel of inserting the probe.  I have never taken a brisket above 195 IT before fork tender.

Some of the board pulls at 180 or so and they report tender, finished brisket.  I am unsure where they are poking their brisket so it is difficult to compare ITs but I trust their judgment.  These briskets are FTCed which will bring the final IT up a more elevated range.  If you are serving immediately (hopefully after a short rest), the IT will need to be somewhat higher as the hangover heat will not have time to move to the middle and finish the transformation from tough to tender.

At any rate, it looks great and I am sure will turn out excellent.  Next time, there will be no lost sleep (except for the partying).

Good luck and keep it smoking,

Pachanga

Uncle Pigfat

Turned out awesome.  Fork tender and tasty.  It wasn't terribly moist but moist enough to still be some of the best brisket I've had (Compared to City Barbecue which isn't really a benchmark to shoot for, but it's the only place I've had brisket - it's not as popular in Ohio).  Either way, just a touch of 'que sauce on the side was all that was needed to cover any lack of moisture.  Pretty awesome for a first try.  Thanks for all the help and support everyone!

just out of the smoker - I ran into a little hickup.  I forgot to make sure the oven timer wasn't going to shut itself off so right before it was about to hit 180* IT it shut itself down and cooled to about 168*.  I kicked it up to 250* and an hour later pulled it at 182*:

After 4ish hours ftc:

And the money shot:

Pachanga

WOW!!!

The photos look like a righteous brisket.  As the coach used to say when reviewing football film.  "The big eye don't lie."

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

monty

that is a righteous lookin brisket

nice bark!
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

classicrockgriller

That Brisket is a beauty. The Bark is $$$$.

What did you think about the rub?

Is it a keeper?

Uncle Pigfat

Thanks guys!  This was a fun experience. If I can keep from eating the entire hunk of leftovers in sandwiches, it's going to find it's way into some chili. As you saw on the WW thread CRG, the rub is solid. I used turbinado sugar, but that was the only difference. I was thinking about some beef granules but it was really good on it's own with the mustard layer.

classicrockgriller

The pics made me go eat a brisket sammie of my own.

Thanks for the feed back on the rub.

DTAggie

TestRocket

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SnellySmokesEm

Nice looking brisket UP!  Chopped brisket sammies are the best!!!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!