Sweet Bread Starter

Started by classicrockgriller, August 26, 2010, 01:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Quote from: Smokin Soon on February 27, 2011, 06:25:55 PM
I did figure out what the problem with my last batch of rolls with Cinnamon and raisins. It seems that I went a little heavy on the cinnamon. It can have the tendency to be a yeast killer. This time I added a tsp of instant yeast to the mix and got some tasty rolls. There is a yeast that SAF makes that is supposed to be better for sweet breads using cinnamon. It's SAF Gold or something. Probably gotta order on line.

SS - I bought a lb. of the gold, if you wants some pm me your address. 

I bought mine at King Arthur.

Smokin Soon

Thanks Deb, I also ordered the Gold from KA. It did the trick on the cinny buns, and also seems to work better in some of my tough to rise rye breads.

LQ, this is what Manxman did, but I did not hear back from him. Was hoping Sonny would post his more precise meathod, but this should work.

To reconstitute dehydrated 1/2 cup starter pack:

Add 1/2 cup warm water around 110F. [Bottled water is what I use.]
Add 1 cup bread flour. [I use King Arthur Bread Flour for the starter and Gold Medal "Better for Bread" for the baking.]
Add 1/8 cup sugar.

Mix well and leave at room temperature and look for signs of life!! In your climate LQ, if you mix in the morning it should be nice and bubbly by evening and do the next step.

Using rehydrated starter:

To 1 cup starter add:
11/2 cups bread flour.
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup warm water around 110F.

Leave for up to 10 days - 2 weeks, after this time retain one cup to start process again and use the other two cups for bread making / friends / discard.

To make basic dough:

To one cup starter add:
11/2 cups warm water around 110F.
1tsp salt
1/2 cup corn oil
1/2 cup sugar
6 - 7 cups bread flour (2lb)

Cut this in half for 1 good sized loaf or a pan of rolls. Leftover starter is great for pancakes or waffles, adding milk and egg.

The amount of starter used for baking is not that precise, about 2 to 2 and a half cups for a full load.
If your first bake is not perfect, don't worry about it as the starter is just getting used to it's new home and will balance out with the next feed.

La Quinta

Thanks Smokin...We are doing buffalo short ribs on Sunday....these rolls would be fabulous with it... ;)

Smokin Soon

A new twist to Sonny's starter. Wifey and friends craving chocolate and I hate baking cakes. Used the normal bread mix, added 3 tbs cocoa powder, switched butter for the corn oil and added 1 1/2 cups of white chocolate chips, 1 tsp Vanila extract, 1/2 tsp nutmeg. [white chips were all i had]. Took some of the chips and put in my little coffee grinder to make a bit of a topping. They loved it!
A little harder to work with cause of the chips, so I made big ones, 16 pcs. Next time I might try to roll it out and spread out the ground chips and roll back up. The girls say "leave it alone".

DisplacedCoonass

Does the original recipe for this have yeast in the starter??

Smokin Soon

I am sure it does, but when using the starter no yeast is added.

scott6049

I might of missed it somewhere but how do you make the starter. I see a lot of people on here are getting the starter from someone else , but how do you make the starter?
MAK Grill 2 Star General
Weber Charcoal Grill
Old Gasser

Quarlow

Crg is the keeper of the starter. He has also figured out how to dry it so it can be shipped around the world and then restarted. I can't remember if it was started with yeast or not. This starter is from around 1870's on the oregon trail or something like that. If you contact him he would be glad to ship you some.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mustangmoe

mybad

KyNola

I hate to bring bad news. I learned that Sonny "CRG" passed away 2/9/23. If you have his bread starter I can think of no better way to honor Sonny than to keep his starter and its story going. I know he would like that.

manxman

QuoteI learned that Sonny "CRG" passed away 2/9/23.

Sad news indeed, he was kind enough to send me some starter many moons ago. RIP Sonny.
Manxman

mybad

Sad to hear, CRG was such a nice guy. Loved reading his comments, humor, and recipes.

Rest in peace Sonny.

mustangmoe

Yes NePaSmoKer told me a few months ago Sonny was not doing very well. Sad that he is gone. He spent all night with me chatting while my pork butt was cooking in my smoker. Super nice fellow. He will be missed.
Condolences to family and friends
Cherish the memories

Tiny Tim

Spent many nights in the chat room with him and a couple others.  Sometimes as late as 3AM Central.  He was a great day.  RIP Sonny.