Pork Shoulder Advice

Started by mrmnjewel, August 28, 2010, 07:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmnjewel

I am doing my very first smoke this weekend on a 4lb pork shoulder. I know that the general thing logic is that it is done when it is done and that cook times can vary depending upon many factors. However, i have also heard a general rule of thumb of 1-1.5 hours of cook time per pound of meat. The shoulder will be the only thing in the smoker, so, realistically, is 6 hoursish a good timeframe to shoot for or am i looking at longer?

The reason I am asking is, my father-in-law, who uses a charcoal smoker says that he would probably smoke a pork shoulder for at least 12 hours. To me that seems long for a 4 pounder. Just trying to get some general advice.  Thanks!

Matt

classicrockgriller

All are different but at 225 I'd guess 8 to 10 hrs.

Maybe even a little longer.

Tenpoint5

It isn't so much about how long it it is there but what the internal temp is. What your shooting for is an internal temp of 190-200º. With a 4lb pork shoulder/butt I would start checking at the 6 hour mark if your cooking at 225º and then every half hour after that until you get to the target temp. Remember to FTC it for an hour after cooking for the juices to redistribute. No cooler use the microwave
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Chris is right, the IT dictates when it is done. The about time was what you ask for.

I don't think you can put it in at 10 and expect to eat at 4.

Also I like a longer FTC (Foil/Towel/Cooler or microwave).

At an hour the butt hasn't cooled enough to start to redistribute the juices.

beefmann

id go for aan it of 180 to 190 and not  worry about time, id start  earlier

KyNola

Very simple.  Double wrap the finished butts in foil, F.  Then wrap in a towel, T.  Then, place in an empty cooler, C.  The purpose is twofold.  The first purpose is to allow the juices to redistribute throughout the butt.  It also continues to cook and further break down the tissue.  Second, it allows you to hold the meat until you're ready to pull and serve.  No cooler?  Sub the microwave oven.  Just don't turn it on!  FTC or FTM will hold a butt nicely for 4-6 hours and you'll still burn your fingers when you go to pull it.

mrmnjewel

Yeah. I think I am going to get started early tomorrow (probably 0600ish) and we will see how it goes. I looked up the FTC thing to see what that is all about (remember, I am totally new to this stuff) and it seems pretty straightforward.

I applied the rub a little while ago and am hoping for the best tomorrow. Will take pics for sure. Thanks so much for the kind advice, all.

mrmnjewel

Just one thing to point out...I am not doing a butt. I am doing a pork shoulder. Any difference? Reviewing everyone's posts, most are referring to butts, but I am doing a different cut.

KyNola

A shoulder may not pull like a butt but essentially the technique is the same.

Have fun tomorrow and good luck.  You're in for a great day.  Holler if you need help and post those pics!

mrmnjewel

Report from the field. The new BDS knocked it out of the park. I decided to heed the advice here and leave plenty of additional cooking time. I got up at 0515, loaded the meat and started her up. Meat went in at around 0525. As many people had said it likely would, it hit a temperature stall in the 170s. It took forever to get through the 170s. Once it hit 180, though, it wasn't long to 190. Weird. The meat hit 190 at 1450. Anyway, I had things prepared to do the FTC. My wife and I had decided to invite my dad over to share in the bounty. Knowing that he was on something of a tighter time schedule, I ended up only FTCing for an hour, but the meat was like butter. Plenty of pics were taken, which I will post later. In short, I am extremely pleased with the results. This was a lot of fun and the results were worth the effort. Thanks all for the kind words and advice. My wife tells me I am doing ribs next weekend, so I will probably seek advice on that in the next few days.  ;D

KyNola

Way to go man!
Great recipes for ribs over on the recipe website.  Take a look at Iceman's and 10.5's.  www.susanminor.org