pork loin sirloin end roast

Started by ericgee, September 28, 2010, 05:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericgee

would like to smoke this roast sunday it is i think 4.5 lbs. i get confused on my cuts when i look through the recipes. so that is what i have i would appreciate a few simple recipes. thanks eric.

FLBentRider

Sounds like a pork loin to me.

Pick a rub, Jans rub comes to mind.

smoke @225F with 2 to three hours of smoke until an IT of 145-150F

Slice and enjoy.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Names of cuts of meat vary from one geographical area to another, and even more so in different countries. Google "Meat Cut" and you will get a lot of hits.

The loin is a large muscle, and the whole loin is often cut into sections, and each has different characteristics. The sirloin end is the section that attaches to the ham muscle,  if you buy a whole boneless loin you will see it larger then the other end. If it is bone in you can easily identify the end, because the other end will still have the section of ribs attached. This section has a fair amount of connective tissue. It is also used for boneless chops.

You will also see a center cut. This cut is very lean and tender, with little connective tissue and can dry out fast. This can also be cut into boneless chops

Then you may see a cut called rib end or blade end. As the name implies it is the section where the ribs are attached, and the shoulder blade. This end has more marbling, and more connective tissue then the other cuts. This is also where you get your bone in chops or boneless.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

I like mine simple.

Put the pork on the counter.  Preheat the smoker.  When it's up to temp, give the pork a sprinkle of salt, pepper and granulated garlic all over.  Pat it down, then into the smoker.  I prefer apple wood.

You really need a meat probe for this.  The internal temp can really take off so it should be watched closely.

I've done it two ways.  One is as FLB suggested.

The other is to pull it at about 140, slice it into 3/4 to 1 inch chops and finish them on the grill.  Sauce 'em if you like it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.