Inagural BB's

Started by thejennelles, June 20, 2005, 06:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejennelles

Hey all, new member here just fired up the bs that I got from the wife for Dad's day.  Tried the Baby back's with an all night Dr. Pepper soak(I do this with venison often), then patted and air dried.  I dusted with dry mustard, paprika, s&p, and garlic powder.  let sit for one hour then I drapped with bacon in the bs for 4 hours @200, 2hrs with cherry, 2 with maple.  Then pulled from smoker and wrapped in foil in 275 degree oven for 2 more hours.  Turned out great, but what I am wanting to know is that the smoke seemed to mellow out the next day after was in the fridge.  They were actually better reheated the next day b/c you could really taste the wood.  Is this common with smoking? shoul I plan prepping day before events and reheat for company.

MallardWacker

This is my humble frigid and often mis-guided opinion here.  To me I get a "smoke syndrome" with my nose and pallette.  I think you have messed with smoking the meat so much preparing it that you really don't get to taste it properly.  I always enjoy the smoke flavor better the day after.  

Also I did my ribs simular to the same process you did then finished them on the grill with my favorite sause.  Right now my favorite is Jack Daniels #7 Recipe, you can get it wal-mart.

ALso welcome to the forum and don't make youself a stranger.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

thejennelles

Thanks for the welcoming words.  I feel much better knowing that there are others out here that can lend some kind advice to a novice smoker.  I would say you are right on the money with that, I was kindof in smoke overload by the end of the day.  My dogs were going crazy all day too.  I did mop the bb's before the foil & oven process with Bone suckin sauce, I like the grill idea, my wife likes them "crispy" so I broiled hers for a few minutes to blacken them up but the grill is probably better.

JJC

Welcome, Jennelles!

I agree with Duck-Man's reasoning, and in addition to his comments a lot of also think that many foods (cheeses and hams, for example) MUST be rested for at least a few days before eating to allow the smoke flavor to diffuse throughout the food rather than stay concentrated on the outer portion.  It's also possible that for some foods, the smoking process leaves certain bitter compounds on the surface that will oxidize with time into flavorless (or at least much less bitter) molecules.  It's analagous to letting a bottle of red wine "breathe" a bit before drinking it.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA