Kidney Pie

Started by Caneyscud, August 30, 2010, 10:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

A really good friend of mine was longing the other day about the Kidney pie of his youth.  He is orginally from Scotland.  I have found a good looking recipe or two - including some that are from very old cookbooks, but want to know if any of you out there in Bradley land has any good and sure recipes?  I have had it on more than one occassion, but have never cooked it.  I want to do it for his birthday.  I have only recently found a source of kidneys - our Immigrant Wally World.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

TestRocket

I like gizzards and liver (both beef and chicken) but have never had kidney pie. Good luck and an early happy birthday to your friend!

BuyLowSellHigh

Never made one and don't plan to.  Many, many years ago I worked for a Yorky for a year and a half and he introduced me to Steak and Kidney Pie.  What little I recall and understand is the kidneys should be from a young animal, either lamb or veal.  There is a bunch of offal I like, but kidney is not on that list.  I think if you google "steak and kidney pie recipe" you'll find hundreds of options.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

hal4uk

I have this mental image...
I'm trapped in Arctic plane wreckage...
The devil is standing there with a kidney pie, and says he can lift the plane and rescue me....
If only I eat the pie...

So now I'm sawing my arm off with a pocket knife.
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: hal4uk on August 30, 2010, 07:15:54 PM
I have this mental image...
I'm trapped in Arctic plane wreckage...
The devil is standing there with a kidney pie, and says he can lift the plane and rescue me....
If only I eat the pie...

So now I'm sawing my arm off with a pocket knife.
Awrighten.

Save the arm Hal! You just have to know how to cook a kidney.

Ya cook the pizz out of it!

Once you get past the smell, it tastes pretty good.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

Caneyscud

Oh, it's not that bad.  I've had kidneys many times.  There was this High-brow Spanish/Italian restaurant that was on the top of the "old" Omni Hotel in Downtown Atlanta that had this dish of Braised Veal Kidneys and mushrooms in a creamy sherry sauce that was fantastic.  They also had this Basque Veal Sweetbread dish that was pretty good.  These were business trips and by evening time came, my colleagues were usually pretty snockered.  It was fun - I'd order those dishes and they would get all ashen white when the dishes came to the table and I started eating them.  Sobered them up fast!

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"