Jalapeño and Cheddar anyone?

Started by Sailor, September 04, 2010, 10:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Doing 5lb of Jalapeño and Cheddar.  Using 4 pounds of ground pork butt and 1 pound of shredded sharp cheddar.  Dumped 1 12 oz jar of Jalapeño in a sieve to drain the juice then diced up the slices.

I mixed my pork with onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, diced Jalapeño and minced fresh cilantro. When the meat was well mixed I added ½ pound of the shredded cheddar and mixed it in.  Then I used ½ cup cold water to dissolve my cure #1, salt and sugar and then added it to the mixed and worked it in the meat.  When it was well blended I added my other ½ of cheddar and mixed it in.  Did not use any binder.

I am not sure if I am going to melt the cheese out of the casing but thought I would give it a shot.  Dried the casings at 130 for 1 ½ hrs.  Smoke for 2 hrs at 140 then to 150 for 2 hrs. ramp to 160 for 2 hrs then to 165 for IT of 152-153.

I made some links out of collagen casing and the ones hanging are hog casings.  It is still a learning experience for me on getting the links to hang to not touch each other.  Next time I may hang 2 links each on the rod and they may hang better.  The links in the photo are not touching.   Will post some more pics when they come off with IT of 152 to 153. 

Starting to roll the smoke.  Using Oak for 2 hours.

This is my set up on the back patio.  Put a piece of granet on top of the storage bin and it gives it a stable platform.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Sailor

The experiment was a flop.  Should have used high temp cheese.  The cheddar was dissolved and the inside was very mushy.  My IT never got above 152 so I have no idea when the cheese started to degrade.  Put them in the fridge and will see what I have in the morning.  Most likely they will be tossed if they are anything like what they tasted like tonight. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

classicrockgriller

I am going to Allied on Wensday .... Do you need some Hi-temp cheese?

Pm me when you decide u think these are a flop.