• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

To All Members--a question

Started by Oldman, June 24, 2005, 01:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

If I install a chat room is there any interest here with the members?

If there is interest we should set up two events as the "offical" chat days with a given times. Say 9 pm EST USA on a Tues. And 9am EST USA on a saturday for our friends across the pond.

You all let me know~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

eightball

Olds,
As usual you have the prize in sight and have hit a bullseye.
YesI would be if there are enough other members interested
Jay[8]

manxman

Hi Olds,

My only concern is how much support there would be from this side of the pond, there is only a very small hardcore of members over here that contribute regularly!?

Hate to waste your time setting up something that would be under used. [:(][:(]

I would imagine there would be plenty of support your side of the pond.[:D][:D]And if we are very keen, we could always join in!![;)][;)]

Manxman.
Manxman

Phone Guy

Sounds like a good idea. Not sure how often I would participate but go for it.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">there is only a very small hardcore of members over here that contribute regularly!?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">So just break out the Tea and Crumpets or whatever you folks do over there... [:D] <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Not sure how often I would participate but go for it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">If I set it up it will be up 24/7/365... somewhere in there you might find time to stick you head in and say hello~~~! [^]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Foam Steak

Could be sort of fun, I do not know.  If you set it up I will log on and try it out.

HCT

I would like to add a room for "this & that", just a board for getting to know people and add a little fun and lunacy. We have one over at the Just Labradors forum and it is a hoot. JMHO

Mickey
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Oldman

First Mickey I don't run this board. When I offered to add a chat room it will be off of the recipe site.

Next the "New Topic" board on this site is our open forum.

Olds

jaeger

Sounds like a great idea!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

HCT

Just a thought Olds, no harm done.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

whitetailfan

Hey Olds,
Great plan, but my concern is that owstrich tried to set up a chat a while back.  I tried to sign in a couple times but he was gone, or there was no response.  It was a good idea then...but it did not get a great response.
"If you build it they will come" - field of dreams
Your call - I'll try and participate.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

Well we're looking at an off  site chat that is linked from the recipe site. It would be private in the sense that you would have to have the link. We have a PHP chat that is free on my server but I don't like it. It is dumb looking and IMO not user friendly.

Trey (my webmaster) recommends SigmaChat Platinum. Here is a link with features:
http://www.sigmachat.com/compare.html

We are still looking....

Olds

Oldman

One option I like about the SigmaChat is will use vBulletin system for authentication.

What this means is for someone who is registered for on the recipe site. They only have click to chat in the chat area.  They are automatically logged into chat with their user name they have on vBulletin.  There is also an option to not let people join chat unless they are members of our recipe site and are registered.  This will cut down on pranksters as it will give me the power of vBullentin ban control via IP, E-mail, and user name on top of the ban control of SigmaChat.

To most of use this does not sound important. However, I've run voice and chat servers before and sooner or later you get some fool in them. Talk about ruining a good time.

Olds

JJC

I think it's a great idea.  Personally, my schedule is so nutsoid that I don't know how often I could participate in "regular" chat room times, but would crtainly be willing to give it a try.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

owrstrich

i dig the chat...

my expierence with the indy car chat is that we set up a specific weekday and time... wed 9pm est... it took off fast with lots of people... now its the same 10 or 20 chatters on wed night...

what we discovered is someone had to go to the indy car forum every wed at 9pm est and post a link to the chat so folks would show up...

now... just about every night... if someone posts a chat thread there will be 10 or 20 folks show up at the chat... regardless of the night... if no one posts a chat thread no one shows up at all... not even on wed at 9pm est... crazy aint it...

so im guessing a specific time will make it easy for some folks to show up from time to time... but posting a chat thread at the bs forum whenever someone is there will keep it alive...

our indy car chat is now in its 10th year... we started with mirc and have been through several programs... now we use spinchat.com and have for the last 3 years... it costs $90 per year but we have not had a single problem...

more later...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...