biscuits not feeding right.

Started by stans7853, September 07, 2010, 11:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stans7853

My smoke generator is not feeding the biscuits right. When it gets to the point of dropping the next one the foot that pushes the biscuit out to the burner isn't going back far enough to allow the biscuit to drop down.
It stops about half way back. then starts forward again, the biscuit drops down at an angle and gets stuck.
One thing, if I push on the foot it retracts all the way back.

I have taken it apart a couple time to see if cleaning it would help but it is still doing it.
Any ideas or do I need a new feeder?

classicrockgriller

This is from the FAQ's section of the recipe section.

Q. Why do my bisquettes advance using the Advance Button, but are not properly advancing Automatically every 20 minutes?

A. Solution to the problem by Thunderfish (Terry); Clarification by Mike (Mr. Walleye)
First check the generator to make sure the movement of the shuttle, or the arm is not being obstructed by anything. If you don't clean your generator debris from the bisquettes can build up in the tracks and prevent the shuttle from fully advancing. Also wires inside the generator can block the movement of the arm that pushes the shuttle, so make sure it has a clear path.

For the automatic time cycle to operate properly the motor must run counter clockwise. There are times the manual advance cycle will come out of synchronization with the automatic timed cycle. This could be caused by a voltage drop or some other electrical interference while the generator is running. When this occurs the automatic timed cycle will run the motor clockwise. This prevents the switch and contacts from activating in the proper sequence, and prevents the bisquettes from advancing. Generally the motor will self correct, but there may be times when it requires an owner's intervention. (Also some have reported that when the motor runs clockwise the armature does not turn smoothly.)

To correct this problem, turn the generator on, and push the Advance Button to start the automatic timed cycle. This will start the automatic timed cycle at the beginning of its 20 minute cycle. This gives you the opportunity of not having to stand around. You can leave and return about 18 minutes later. In approximately 20 minutes the automatic timed cycle will begin to move the mechanism (you should hear it start to cycle) pull the plug on the generator while the mechanism is moving, then plug it back in. The motor should correct itself, begin turning counter clockwise the next time it cycles, and it should start advancing your bisquettes normally. Load two bisquettes; or if you have some Bubba Pucks load them instead to check if the generator is properly advancing the bisquettes.

If the problem persists, contact Bradley customer service.

Here also is a link to the FAQ's

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?481-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=748#post748

stans7853

Thanks classicrockgriller I'll give that a try.

Schuedog

I had the same problem with two of my units.  I carefully opened the smoke generator and removed the two screws holding the little switch for the advance cam and removed the switch.  I then took a drill and enlarged the holes on the switch itself with the next sized bit.  I also elongated the holes a little so that when I put the switch back in place I could push it away from the cam a little so that when it calls for a new biscuit the cam is able to move and open the switch before the circuit times out and thinks that the cam has already made a complete cycle.
    I notified Bradley that they need to lengthen the dead time for the switch.