• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital smoker box convert...

Started by icerat4, September 13, 2010, 10:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

Hi guys long time ...I have a digital 6 rack but have the same issue e-9 code bad connection deal with the pins etc...Does any one here know how i can use an original generator on the digital unit...id like to do a conversion deal.since i dont like the digital deal..But have a new 6 rack box i can use with a new original generator....Any ideas ..Thanks alot crew... ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Tenpoint5

Nice to see you posting again Icerat!
I would suggest giving Brian a call at Bradley and asking him if it can be done. He's been more than helpful on anything I have called and asked him about.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

iceman

Good to hear from you icerat4. Hope things are going well for you. Like 10.5 said Brian can probably help you on this one. Nepas might even have some ideas. I'm only familiar with the OBS so I can't help out much. Sounds like a good thing to try out. Keep us posted on what you find out.

ExpatCanadian

I will be watching this thread with interest, as I too would be interested in converting my DBS into a straightforward OBS....  no real complaints with the DBS, mine does work perfectly...  it's just that I like the control I get with my dual probe Auber PID and with the DBS I can't use the smoke generator control function.  I posted on this previously... http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16138.msg193149#msg193149, not quite the same...  but I'm not above purchasing an OBS smoke generator to accomplish this  :)!

TC

Habanero Smoker

Hi IceRat;

Good to see you posting again.

If you do use the original generator, what plans do you have to control the temperature?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Hey Rat

Long time buddy  ;D

The OBS Generator will fit right where the Digital goes. As far as controlling the main element the OBS will not. But if your good with electric work you may get it to work.

If you have a PID to control the element it will work.

KyNola

This would be a pain in the butt but it might work in a pinch.  Plug the tower directly into the wall.  Do the same with the Generator.  Use a Maverick ET-73 to monitor the temp in the box.  Let it go a little higher than you where you really want it and then open the door for a couple of minutes.  Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.  Like I said, a pain in the butt but it might work in a pinch.

What do you guys think?

BTW, glad to see you back on Rat!

ExpatCanadian

@icerat

Do you have an Auber PID?  If so...  'nuff said, right? PID controls the element...  Smoke gen feeds the smoke.

squirtthecat

Even a cheapie Ranco temperature controller would probably work..   

icerat4

Thanks alot guys...Still smoking food and lots of it..Just got done with the awesome aint your moms meatloaf deal...Always brings back good memorys here...Good to see ya all here still...Man this old bradley smokers been thru tons of food ;D thanks for the ideas .I will post pics as i do this conversion...

Habanero Smoker

Hi IceRat;

Once you determine how you want to control the temperature, I believe you will still have to use a sensor Bypass Plug and you should be set to go. The Bypass Plug comes with the Bradley Cold Smoke Adapter. I would send you mine, but it has long been misplaced. Maybe you can get one from Bradley, or another member who has an OBS can send you theirs, or you can make your own. There are instructions somewheres on this board on how to make your own plug.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tiny Tim

Habs...I believe the bypass plug only applies when using a Digital generator in cold smoke setup, plugged into the back of the generator.  As I understand, Icerat is planning to use a standard generator with his D-6 cabinet.  I could be wrong on both counts though.

classicrockgriller

If you have the Auber plug and play, The cabinet plugs into the Auber and

the Auber controls the Heat. The OBS smoke gen just plugs directly into the

AC plug.

If you have the "Newest" Auber, both can be plugged into it and the Auber will control

the Smoke Gen time and the heat of the Cabinet.

Habanero Smoker

Hi TT;

You are probably correct. I don't own a digital. But I thought the purpose of the ByPass plug was to "fool" the cabinet into thinking it was attached to the digital generator; otherwise the element would not turn on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icerat4

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 14, 2010, 09:41:47 AM
If you have the Auber plug and play, The cabinet plugs into the Auber and

the Auber controls the Heat. The OBS smoke gen just plugs directly into the

AC plug.

If you have the "Newest" Auber, both can be plugged into it and the Auber will control

the Smoke Gen time and the heat of the Cabinet.

This is exactly what i was looking for ,,,Can you link me the newer unit i would need to buy....This is perfect  plug in both cords and walla 6 rack unit ,,with the ease of a original element and puck advance..PERFECT..TY..