• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

How about a native thermostatically controlled BS?

Started by kflorian, June 26, 2005, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kflorian

Just got my smoker last week...smoking for the first time today...ribs...so far so good.

I see the posts re: Raptor etc...probably something I will want but I have to believe that an integrated thermostatic control must be in the works for a not-to-distant version of the BS.

Any rumors of such on the wire?

Ken Florian

Oldman

First Greetings and Welcome to the forums~~! [:p]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">integrated thermostatic control must be in the works for a not-to-distant version of the BS.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Unless it is a high tech thermostatic I would not be interested. Temp swings of regular over thermostatics can be as much as 15 degress up and down. That possible 30 degree spread does not get'er done when I'm doing sausage.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Ken.  I'd love to see Bradley build in a thermostatic control, but it wold have to be a good one, as Olds says.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

kflorian

Thanks for your kind greetings.  I now realize that one of the things I'd hoped for was thermostatic control...and didn't fully educate myself on precisely how the BS worked...don't get me wrong...my first experience with the smoker yesterday was fine!...but I can clearly see why a high-grade controller is desirable.

Now I have figure out how to go to the family finance committee and tell  them (her) that the smoking setup is not quite complete [B)]

Ken Florian

Phone Guy

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If this company can do it, Bradley can! check this out....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Any idea what the specs are on the Temp swing of that unit? It would be interesting to know. If the swing is only 3-4 degrees that would be great!  <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Now I have figure out how to go to the family finance committee and tell them (her) that the smoking setup is not quite complete
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">May I suggest you learn a little more about this unit before you state it is not complete.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

kflorian

Absolutely.  Suggestion noted and taken.  I already know from one experience that I will be able prepare food unlike anything I've done before.  As someone who has taken special care to slowly accumulate "fine" cookware of all sorts over the years, I am satisfied that I chose well this time.  

The information regarding thermostatic control provided by other, more experienced smokers, is intriguing and goes into the "actively considered" category.

Cheers,

Ken
[:)]

Ken Florian

kflorian

My second smoke, a pork butt, turned out spectacularly well.  Just made it in under the wire in terms of cook time / serve time but all was well.  In the future I will want to cook larger portions over night.  In that scenario, a thermostatic control will be essential...but I will grow into that as I get more experienced with the unit.

Ken Florian

AZSmoker

I second the motion.  It would be great to be able to relax a bit about the cabinet temp and worry instead about the meat temp.  

As it is, I can't figure out whether to use my wireless remote thermometer for the cabinet or the meat.  Last time, I used it for the cabinet until it was time to change the water, then inserted it into the meat while I had the door open anyway.

Lasse

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
As it is, I can't figure out whether to use my wireless remote thermometer for the cabinet or the meat.  Last time, I used it for the cabinet until it was time to change the water, then inserted it into the meat while I had the door open anyway.

I have faced the same problem but I found a digital thermometer that looks like the remote one but it is not remote and it was sold for about  $11.
I use the remote one to check the temp in the cabinet and the other to check the meat.
I might buy one more to use when smoking different sized meet.

/Lasse

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AZSmoker</i>
<br />I second the motion.  It would be great to be able to relax a bit about the cabinet temp and worry instead about the meat temp.  

Hi AZ,

You could rest a little better if you either follow Lasse's advice and get two separate temp probes and use one for the cab and one for the meat, or buy a Maverick ET-73 (&lt;$40) which has two separate probes attached to the same init and is wireless (30-100 feet, depending on the situation).

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA