• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

BBQ on the Bypass - Langley BC

Started by StickyDan, September 15, 2010, 07:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

BBQ on the bypass in Langley this Sunday.  http://www.bbqonthebypass.com/

Who's going?

I've never been to a BBQ competition before.  I'm really looking forward to trying out some tasty food and maybe (hopefully) learning a few things while I'm there. 

Habanero Smoker

Sounds like a nice event.

Quote from: StickyDan on September 15, 2010, 07:55:22 PM
BBQ on the bypass in Langley this Sunday.  http://www.bbqonthebypass.com/

Who's going?

I've never been to a BBQ competition before.  I'm really looking forward to trying out some tasty food and maybe (hopefully) learning a few things while I'm there. 

I'm sure there will be concession stands, but depending on the Food Health law in that area, competitors may be prohibited from passing out samples, but its a good opportunity to ask them questions.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Slamdunk

Yep ! I'll be there.

A friend and his team are entered. I was at his place last W/E and he was tweaking his entries. Great food! He competed up at Whistler a short while ago and out of 52 teams he got 3rd place for ribs and 8th place for chicken. Served with his own home brewed beer which went down really well with his food.

Usually samples are given away.
There might be a small donation request.

RossP

I will be in the judging tent having to judge the event, poor me ;D
There will be sample for the public to try. Harry Soo from Slap Yo' Daddy
will be there also. I am looking forward to Saturday night when the competitors
and the judges (that would include me)  have a get together with a few adult
beverages. Should be fun. See you on the bypass :D

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

StickyDan

Slamdunk

Ross, you have to wear some sort of ID so we'll be able to say hello.

How about two rib bones stuck behind your ears - sorta like cigarettes??

I'm open to your suggestion.....

RossP

I think I might be wearing my Bradley tee shirt and hat.
Unfortunately I will be in the judges area from 10 - 4,
we are not allowed to talk with anyone while in
the judges area.
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

TestRocket

Ross, have fun and don't eat to much!  ;D

StickyDan

Well Ross???
How was it??? I looked for you but it's hard to tell a live person from a tiny profile photo. 
Must have been pretty sweet to taste test all those different meats.   
Can't wait to hear about it.

RossP

I will definitely be judging again. What a great bunch of people all with the same passion. On Saturday night there was a BBQ for the competitors, sponsors and judges. THe wife and myself grabbed a smokie on a bun and a beer and wandered around talking to some of the teams. All were very open to how they were preping the food and more than willing to take time out to talk.

On Sunday morning all the judges had to be in the judging area by 9:45 for the judges meeting, after the meeting we had about 20 minutes of free time then it started. From 11:00 until 2:30 we were kept relatively busy with short breaks between the different turn in time. During the actual judging of the foods we were not to talk but after each category we compared notes after our judging slips were collected.  No pictures were to be taken insid ethe judging area so sorry no pictures of the food I judged but I can tell you it was all good, not a single bad piece of meat crossed my plate.

A chilli cooker on of the vendors at the event.

A nice pit

Harry Soo's team in action, getting ready for the Turkey turn in.

A buddy of mine getting his Turkey ready to turn in.

Like this team, he is a camera man for the morning news here in BC.

A local team from Langley, BC also one of my favorites.

A little piggy pit, another vendor.

Talking to some of the teams after all the turn in and before the awards they all  had a good time, even if it did rain like mad over night, making for a miserable night then raining again right at the first turn in time but then the sun came out and made it a great day. I was able to go and get the pictures of some of the turkey because I was not judging turkey, I only judged the main categories, Brisket, Pork, Chicken and Ribs. I would recommend anyone who like BBQ to take the course and become a judge, in my course we had three BBQ teams take the course to find out exactly what the judges are looking for. Judging BBQ another way to enjoy our great hobby.

Ross

Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Slamdunk

That was a good time !!

My son and I didn't get there until 1:30 about 1/2 hour before the rib turn in time. We wandered around and met up with a friend and his team.
They gave us some advice as to who, besides themselves, normally does some great ribs and off we went to hunt them down. In all, tried four different team's ribs and while all were good, they were all different in some way. My son liked the zing! of one entry while I enjoyed my friend's the best. Great taste, very tender but not falling off the bone - the way I like em!!

I was speaking to the fellow in your first picture with the Chili cart. It is a 1943 Czech war wagon. A friend found it for him.

Couldn't believe the number of people who attended.

I looked for you Ross, but as somebody else mentioned your avatar wasn't much help.

I will definitely be back next year, perhaps a little earlier so as to taste some chicken!1

RossP

What team is your buddies? I have no idea of who's ribs or anything else I tasted.
My friends team is BIG SMOKIN' DEAL. I will also be going to Smoke on the Water,
the one in Richmond and Whistler next year with a few in Washington also.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

StickyDan

Sounds like you had a good time Ross.  Do do you get really full after eating all that stuff all day?
I looked for the results on the website but as far as I know, they have not been posted yet.
Although I had a  great time, I left disappointed because I only got 2 samples of ribs.  I kept waiting in line, but they where out by the time it was my turn.  Oh well. 
I gotta admit, the 2 samples I tried where not that great.  Not to toot my own horn or anything but my buddy and I both agreed that my ribs are lot better. (TOOT TOOT! ;D)  Kinda got me thinking....  could it be time to move away from an electric smoker???

RossP

The results can be seen at this site.
www.pnwba.com
Slap yo daddy won with House of Q taking second. Most of the
samples were not what the judges got. The competitors were given meat to prepare for samples.
You also have to remember that the ribs and meat that was prepared for the judges is heavily spiced as the judges only take one bite out of the rib or brisket and have to get the full flavor of the meat.

Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Quarlow

Man I wish I could have been there. I had to go out of town sunday evening so I wasn't able to go. Sounds like you had a blast.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.