Yet another PID question

Started by TGoodhew, September 17, 2010, 02:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGoodhew

Hi All,

First time posting so apologies in advance if this has already been answered (tried searching for it but my search fu may not be up to snuff).

I've been using an OBS for a little while (enough to be dangerous I think) and just got the Auber dual probe PID - Previously I've been using the FTC method when I reach the right internal temp but I'm wondering if I need to do that with the new PID (using a pork butt as the meat)?

The PID allows you to set a holding temp at the end of the cycle so I was wondering if I can just have it drop the temp down and hold the butt there till I'm ready to start pulling it or if there is something more going on with the FTC method that I should keep doing?

Hoping to avail myself of your collective wisdom on this point.

Thanks in advance.

ArnieM

I'd use the FTC.  Keeping it on warm might dry it out some.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

TestRocket

Welcome TGoodhew,

I had the very same idea when I first got my PID and received the same advice ArnieM has giving you. I would like to add that good things happen to especially pork butts during the FTC method (fat is rendered and connective tissue is broken down) making the pork moist and tender! Try to add 2-5 hours for FTC into your cooking time and your friends and family will think you're the best!

Habanero Smoker

I don't have a PID, but I do have the DigiQ II. The DigiQ II has a similar feature called the Ramp, as the meat gets closer to the internal meat temperature, it will begin to ramp the cabinet temperature down and will hold the cabinet temperature about 10°F above the set internal meat temperature. I think it would be better to program your PID to hold the cabinet temperature at 150°F, after the meat has reach your set internal meat temperature.

I have use the Ramp feature on both butts and brisket. You can use that feature on butts for several hours with out any noticeable effect. Briskets are a little different and can dry out, but I have used the Ramp for brisket for a couple of hours and the brisket was still moist; note that I take my briskets to 185°F and only smoke/cook flats. So if your butt or brisket get done a few hours early, I would say you can use this feature. Though I would go one step further and I would foil a brisket, as added insurance to protect it from moisture loss.

Also I should mention that I rarely FTC. For briskets and butts I prepare them well in advance. Then reheat when I need to serve.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TGoodhew

Thanks all - Appreciate the insight.