July 4th Timing Help

Started by wcasey, June 27, 2005, 08:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wcasey

Brand new to this forum. I's great. Here's my question for the experts. I am smoking 14-16 lbs of Boston Butt and a 8 - 10 lbs if brisket. I'd like to give the meat a 2-3 hr FTC. If we want to eat around 3pm on the 4TH of July when should i start.

FYI - Just got my SS BS. Yeah

TexasSmoker

Phone Guy

I would plan putting it in the night before and pulling it at about noon or earlier. It wont hurt to FTC longer if you need. I have FTC'd for 6 or 7 hours and the meat was still hot. I think you have about a 12-14 hour job with that meat.

MallardWacker

wc,

Phone of Guy has it correct.  I would set my temp around 225, to me those cuts of meat don't need the lower temps of around 200.  Couple of other things.  Keep that door shut or that 14hrs could be a lot longer, you got a good smoker there--let it do its thing, do the RONCO thing--set it and forget it--well almost.  If you are doing a whole brisket (flat and point) I could see it might take bit longer.  My target internal temps are as follows: Brisket 179-185 for sliceable but tender meat. Butts 185, no less or it could be a bit tough.  When you FTC put a couple chugs of Apple Juice in with the meat.  I bet even after 6hrs that butt will still be to hot to pull with your bare hands. "4th On" my friend and be safe... Let us know how it goes.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...