Comments, Observations and Suggestions

Started by Grillin and Chillin, June 27, 2005, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grillin and Chillin

Well, I did my first smoke with my new Bradley this w/e. It was a 5lb boneless pork loin. I did this for two reasons.
1.)   It was a recipe that I had done several times with my $79 Brinkman
2.)   I wanted to compare "Apples to Apples" with my Brinkman.

I used four hours of maple smoke, kept my pit temp around 210, with a total cook time of 8 hours total to achieve an internal temp of 160.  Overall, I was pleased with the meat however, I had never used maple before and think it has a mellower flavor than hickory, which is what I typically use. The meat was extremely juicy, more so than with my Brinkman.

I started my cooking time at 10:30 am. My patio faces east therefore; my smoker was getting the full morning sun. It was a hot and humid day on Saturday. The pit temp stayed pretty much the same until, after the 4 hour mark (as I have read in the forums on several occasions) I changed out the water at which time the meat was at 147 (13 degrees away from my target temp). Obviously I had to open the door to get the pan out and open the door to put the pan back in and I knew the pit temp would drop. . However, at the 4 hour mark my Bradley was in the shade.

What I did not expect was that after 2 hours after I changed the water, the pit temp was still 197 and the internal temp was 150. I tried to be patient and let the pit temp get back up on its own but after two hours I decided to slide the temp up a little.

I'm not sure if this is common and normal or if the fact that my smoker was not getting the full sun and was in the shade is what contributed to my problem. Any ideas?

An observation on my part is that I wish that the temp slider had a line or something on it and maybe the right above the slider where several lines, so that I could line these up for future reference. For instance when I was pre-heating the unit, I was trying to make a reference where 210 degrees would be located for future reference. I ended up lining the middle of the slider up with the "U" in the word temperature below the slider.  But then I would basically have to lie down to see this because my Bradley was sitting on the ground.

This brings me to my next question. Can I use a 16 or 14 gauge (or 12 gauge if it is required) 25' extension cord and plug it into my Bradley so I can set it up on a table? This way the door and temp slider are more at eye level.

Any comments, suggestions, and observations are welcomed.

Prostaff Member
Fur and Feather Outfitters
Archery Assault Team

Phone Guy

Yes you can use an extention cord. The heavier the better. If you are going just a short distance (using a short cord) then 14 gauge should be fine. if you are using a long cord, go with the 12.

psdubl07

The reason there are no reference lines, or anything similar, is because the temperature in the box is affected by external influences, e.g. ambient temp.  So what will get you to 210 on one day, might not on another, or might get you to 230 on yet another day.  The smoker going from sitting in direct sunlight to sitting in shade will most definitely affect the temp a bit.

It's really just a matter of experience and knowing about where to set it.  If I have to open the door to change water or something, I might slide it up a bit, then watch the temp on my Maverick and slide it back down when it's back to temp.  

IMO, some people get a little too wrapped up in pit temp.  I haven't found much of a difference in cooking ribs at 200 then I have at 210.

As far as Maple, you are correct, it is not as strong as Hickory.  Some of the members here shy away from Hickory as a bit strong.  I like it.  I also like Alder, Pecan, and Oak.

whitetailfan

Yes direct sunlight makes a noticeable difference.

I feel for indent markers on my slider.  If you run it back and forth enough, you should notice "stoppers" or places of resistance at 25% 50% and 75% on the slide.  I use the three quarter marker for nearly all smokes.  It is a good starting place for me anyway - yields 200-225 degrees consistently and then I just make adjustments for meat type and weather.  If you want some markers, bust out some touch up paint or in a pinch use your wife's fingernail polish and make your own lines.

You can use an extension cord, but get the best one you can afford...they are not a "recommended product".

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

About the extention cord.   I would ONLY USE 12ga or bigger.  You just bought a 400.00 smoker now, don't skimp on the extention cord.  Go to your home center and not Wallie-World.  I personally have to use a 50 footer to a dedicated outlet and all works well.  I would suggest as short as the project deems.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...