Replacement for Raptor/Procom

Started by Lasse, June 30, 2005, 09:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasse

Hi,

I emailed thebbqguru on Tuesday and asked if they have the Procom or Competitor with the Raptor available for 220 Volts.

If they answer that they don't have that then I wonder if anyone of you can help me with something else that work like them.

I can buy the either the Procom or the Competitor and use a 12 VDC adapter for 220 V but then I'll miss the ability to control the Bradley.

Maybe the Procom/Competitor could be hoked up to some other temp controller like the Raptor or are they made to match the Raptor?

TIA

/Lasse

Habanero Smoker

Could you use a voltage converted, such as a 800 watt (or higher) Voltage Converter 220 volt to 110 volt, similar to the one at this website, to power the raptor?

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/index.html?catalog91_0.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Lasse

TnX for the suggestion.

Yes, it might be an option if the Raptor is 115 V only.
The shipping cost will be huge. [:(]

Maybe if I can find out how the 12 VDC from the Procom/Competitor interacts with the Raptor it might be easier to find a solution.
If it is only a 12 VDC that goes on/off to switch a relay inside the Raptor then I don't need the Raptor since I can build a similar thing and only order the Procom or Competitor.

Well, I'll still have to convince DW that we really really need something like the Procom to help me make better butts and stuff.

Someone has an idea or knows how the 12 VDC from the Raptor works?

/Lasse

Arcs_n_Sparks

Considering that the original purpose was to control a fan (on/off), I suspect the Raptor is just switching the 120v on/off. If a relay, then probably no problem at 220v. If a triac or other solid state device, then the voltage rating would have to be verified for the higher operating voltage.

nsxbill

Call or email Fred Perkle, the owner of TheBBQ Guru.  The Raptor is the item I convinced him to manufacture, and I have the first one he made as well as the first Procom4 that came out of production.  

Fred is, I think, an electronics engineer, aside from a real BBQ afficianado, entrepreneur, and vendor of supplies.  He would be your best bet on information about the way to use his product

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Lasse

Yes, it sounds like it's a relay.
If the 12 VDC into the Raptor just goes on/off then I think a relay can do the magic for me.
It looks like all the brain power is inside the Procom/Competitor and they decide when the Raptor shall deliver juice to the Bradley.

Maybe someone can hook up a 12 V and a 115 V light bulb during the weekend and check if it just goes on/off/on! [:)]

Would be nice to know.

I missed the answer that said call or email Fred.
I'll do that and then I'll know if I can start to talk DW into the need of it.

Right now I'm smoking some almonds. The last ones tasted terrific.

/Lasse

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arcs_n_sparks</i>
<br />Considering that the original purpose was to control a fan (on/off), I suspect the Raptor is just switching the 120v on/off. If a relay, then probably no problem at 220v. If a triac or other solid state device, then the voltage rating would have to be verified for the higher operating voltage.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Welcome to the Forum, arcs!  Keep the helpful hints and your experiences coming!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Arcs_n_Sparks

Dear JJC;

Thanks! Just got my SS Bradley yesterday and have surfed the forum for two weeks. Unfortunately, I ordered it before realizing the value of Chez Bubba, so I am out of the 10% club. Planning on firing it up over the 4th.

As an Electrical Engineer (part of the arc-n-sparks ID), I am quite interested in new ways to control the beast and enhance the smoking experience...

[:)]

Phone Guy

My Wife says I need to wait a while for the guru[:(]. Something about money[:(][:(][:(]

Lasse

No answer at all from the bbqguru people.

I don't know if anyone tried and put light bulbs between 12 and 115 V to see if the controller just switched the power on/off.[?] Anyone?

/Lasse

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lasse</i>
<br />No answer at all from the bbqguru people.

I don't know if anyone tried and put light bulbs between 12 and 115 V to see if the controller just switched the power on/off.[?] Anyone?

/Lasse
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You would be better off calling. For some reason, they are not very responsive to e-mails.

I would hook up the bulbs and give it a try, but I'm not sure how to do it. If you post the instructions on how you want to conduct the test I will do it.

I have a feeling that the Raptor is more then an on/off relay. The Raptor has a heat sink to help prevent the electrical components from overheating. Would a simple relay box require a heat sink?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Lasse

Hi,

Yes, I might have to give them a call.[:(]

Thanks for wanting to try.
My drawing is based on the assumption that the power to the Smoke Generator is  direct from the wall outlet to the generator. Am I right there?
Then I assume that the Raptor is plugged into another wall outlet and the Smoker is connected to the Raptor and a 12 VDC is connected from the Guru to the Raptor to control it?

If I am right then I hope that my drawing make sense to you![:D]
The only extra you have to connect is an "multi-outlet" between the Raptor and the Smoker so you can plug in a table lamp and watch if it goes On/Off or if it fades Up/Down.

Regarding the 12 cable it is a similar setup or maybe a volt meter can be used. The Guru might be using the current to control the Raptors voltage to the Smoker.Then the table lamp should fade.
Will be interresting to hear what you find out.
I only post a link so everybody don't have to see my poor attempt in drawing.
http://smoker.americats.com/Image1.gif

/Lasse

Arcs_n_Sparks

Have to agree with Habanero Smoker. Relay would not require a heat sink. Probably a triac. Have you taken it apart?

Habanero Smoker

Lasse,

I will get to this this afternoon, I am almost positive that the lamp will go on an off, since the heat indicator light on the cabinet goes on and off.

Arc,
The Raptor box is riveted, no screws so I can't open it up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Lasse

TnX,

It's nite for me now. 10 PM but I start to work early this week so I have to get awake at 4 AM tomorrow.
I'll log on from work then.

(Vacation starts next week and on Sat it'll be fish that goes up in smoke)[:D][8D]

/Lasse