Sunday I built a super smoke generator for a friend

Started by pikeman_95, September 29, 2010, 08:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

I have built about four of these things and they sure turn out the smoke. You can use them as a source of heat or duct them into your smoker for a heavy cold smoke. my smoker is set on a concrete block base and my generator and gas burner is ducted into the smoke chamber. The burner is temperature controlled and the generator is turned off and on with a timer.
To start with we go the thrift stores and rummage sales when we have a chance and look for the counter top grills. They are usually only a couple of bucks. Then if they have an open bottom I cut a small piece of stainless and braze it in the bottom. These things are made of light stainless and are a little difficult to weld and you can braze stainless. Now for the pictures.

Here is the basic counter top grill striped down

then cut a rectangle of stainless to seal up the bottom

Brazing is not that pretty
I guess if I had a TIG welder I could make it Pretty but it is sealed OK

Form fit a 20 gauge top to keep out the oxygen. Don't worry the smoke will find it's way out.

Install an eyebolt to allow you to add chips and it is ready for the smoker. total cost maybe $15 and this baby will put out the smoke

Here it is ready for the smoker

This is a quick shot of the generator ducted into my smoker.

I have a hinged door to let me get the generator our when it needs to be filled. It's hot so use some pliers.

This is the generator cranking out the smoke.

This a easy build and it really works.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

Frankenpan!

My Old Smokey is similar but costs a few bucks more.  But, then, I don't weld or have access to a ready supply of SS.

The idea is the same though.  It's similar to an electric frypan controller and heating element.  A pan goes onto the heating element and that's where the chips go.  I believe the heating element is 1200 watts or so.  I can easily smoke at 250-290 for a quicker cook (than the OBS).
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Nice work, and great idea.

Do you have pictures taken further away that include the smoker, smoke generator and how it is ducted to your smoker. From the close up shots, I am having trouble understanding how you connected it to the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pikeman_95

I will take some different pictures tomorrow and post them.

Kirby

pikeman_95

Ok I took some pictures that show the duct work in my smoker. I use a retired railroad signal box with double doors for a smoker and it sits on a concrete box on concrete blocks. The smoker it gas fired with a pipe above the burner which provides some of the smoke. The gas burner has electric temperature control which is another subject all together. Below the smoker I have ducted in the smoke from the smoke generator. The first picture is of the smoker with the duct work and the generator tucked underneath the duct with the door open.

this is with the duct door closed.

This where the duct enters behind the burner entry. The burner is located under the smoker and behind the smoke generator.

My smoker has a external fan system to spin the smoke. This helps speed up the smoke and heat penetration. It really helps to dry jerky.

If you have anyother questions I will take a try at answering them.
Kirby

pikeman_95

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the update. I really appricate the pictures.

That is one unique smoker. Looks like you put a lot of work into it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SouthernSmoked

I agree with HS, looks like you put a lot of thought and work into this.

Enjoy!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

NePaSmoKer

Sailor

Very creative job on the smoker.  Never would have thought to make a smoker out of that.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.