• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Alright here we go..first brisket attempt

Started by Chili Head, October 01, 2010, 10:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chili Head

I yanked it and it's now resting in the cooler  ;) I gotta tell ya..this smells great!!! I was hoping to get it a bit darker though.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Chili Head

I'll let you know how it tastes in about 3 hours  ;)

KyNola

I think it looks pretty darn good.  I like the color on it.  Looking forward to seeing the sliced pics.

squirtthecat

Looks great!   Hal and I will be right over.

What temp were you running at?   That's almost a turbo brisket..

Chili Head

QuoteThat's almost a turbo brisket..

Thats what I was thinking. I was kinda floored it was done in six hours after reading how everyone elses was taking hours more than expected. I pre-heated at 250 and when I stuck it in I lowered the temp to 230.

classicrockgriller

6 HRS? Something is wrong!

I kinda figured the Angus would cook a little faster, BUT not that much faster!

GusRobin

QuoteI pre-heated at 250 and when I stuck it in I lowered the temp to 230.

where were you measuring the temp in relation to the meat (above? below?)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

I'm with CRG here.  6 hours?  As I said earlier the color is really nice but something here bothers me.  Will be interested to hear your take on it.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Chili Head on October 02, 2010, 07:23:41 AM
Now I'm a bit worried..here's the temp after just 5 hours. Only 10 more degrees to go with the BDS set at 230. I woke up and looked at the maverick and it's showed the IT at 210  :o Freaked me out!! Stuck the dial probe in and we're at 175.. I need to look into the maverick being off 30 degrees I guess.

It looks and smells great but shouldnt a 7.5 lb brisket take about 11 hours?
Here's how it looks so far ..

Once it hits temperature will it hurt to lower the temps to hold it around 185-190 so things will tender up?  I would like to get a bark on it too.

These pics, the probe looks like it is in the "no man land "between the flat and point.

Pachanga

I agree with CRG on the no man's land probe insertion.  I use probes in the flat just about where the right hand probe wire crosses the brisket in you photo.  If your probes are in the fat ribbon a worthless reading will be the result.

Check your probes at known ambient temperature and in boiling water.

Pachanga

Chili Head

Well I learned a couple things..check your probes for accuracy and know your cut of meat before you cook it.
I had the probes in the fat ribbon throughout the entire smoke. Live and learn!  :D  Also the cook time was closer to 9 hours not 6  :-[  I put it in around 1:15 am and pulled it around 10:15 am. The next brisket I do I'll smoke it for three hours instead of two, the smoke flavor was very faint .

But it turned out fantastic!! The wife was loving it and BBQ is her favorite food too  :D ;D It's as good as any local BBQ from any food joint in my area. I'm having a blast with my bradley!!

GusRobin

looks great  --the learning part is the fun part,
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

Awesome!

Was it tender enough?   9 hours might be about right if your Bradley was running smoking hot..

Chili Head

It wasnt too tough at all squirtthecat. I think I lucked out but it could have been a bit more tender. The next one I do I'm going to set the temp at 210 instead of 230 so it cooks longer.