Naga Jolokia Salsa

Started by KevinG, October 02, 2010, 05:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

For those of you who happened to get one of Arnie's free Naga Jolokia Peppers, and want to try something that won't make you new enemies, I've got a salsa recipe I just made.

Ingredients:
1 can stewed tomatoes
1/4 onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 lime juiced
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh cracked pepper to taste
3/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3/8 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 Tablespoon Sriracha
1 Fresh Naga Jolokia Pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro

Place it all in a food processor and pulse until you get a good looking salsa consistency (or you could chop up by hand). I then heated the mixture up so I could can them.

It was nowhere near as bad (overpowering hot) as eating it raw, and it really is good. Just a little kick. It will make a little over 2 8oz. jars.

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

punchlock

That looks great Kevin. Don't mind the ignorance but what is sriracha?

KevinG

It's an Asian Hot Chili Sauce, you should be able to pick it up in your local grocery store in the ethnic food isle. I actually had to go to 2 different stores to find it. Mine was made by Huy Fong Foods, Inc.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

That looks good Kev.  Thanks for the recipe.  I'm glad you found a use for the peppers.

It's pretty much end of season here.  I'll pick off what's left and try whipping up some or your salsa. 

If you deal with Penzy's, they have Indian crushed pepper that's about twice as hot as the 'normal' ones.  Good stuff.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Looks like an interesting salsa. About 50 miles from me there is a store that makes brownies with Ghost Pepper powder. I may try one of those.

Arnie;
If you have a Wal-Mart super center they also sell it. I've also seen it in many Shop Rite stores that are near communities with a large asian population.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

The brownies sound good  ;D  My local Walmart doesn't carry much food except for boxed stuff.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Gizmo

I have mine (ArnieM Naga) in the dehydrator with the habanero, jalapeno, and super cayanne peppers from my pepper plants.  Will be grinding them up for a fresh batch of pepper seasoning. 

I am hoping the seeds from the Naga will produce some plants for a big batch next year.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/