mini report: Smoked Salmon - Kummok method

Started by b0dhi, October 03, 2010, 03:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0dhi

I had nothing to do but smoke things all weekend.. Yesterday I did my first attempt at cheese and beef ribs.. Today was salmon.   My friend and I went trib fishing a couple weeks ago and I managed to get a 10lb Chinook..  I decided to smoke some of it up today and I tried to follow Kummok's method as closely as I could.. I have no PID or anything fancy, just the DBS4.   I did the following:

2 hours @ 120F
3 hours @ 140F
2 hours @ 170F

Used apple and hickory pucks, and this is the result:

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this smoking business... :)

punchlock

Man those look great, I even licked the screen "note to self, clean monitor".....

mikeradio

looks great, good job and it will taste even better

Quarlow

Wow nice job. I am going to try Kummok's method on my next batch. I finally learned how to filet so I don't have to wait for my brother to come over.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Kummok

Nothing like starting at the top w/ King salmon!  Looks great...don't need anything fancy when you turn out stuff like that... ;)

b0dhi

Thanks guys! :)

Kummok:  aye, but this is a king from the great lakes area in Ontario here... Nothing like what you are getting up there in Alaska..  I would love to try your recipe with some wild caught salmon from your neck of the woods!   I'm thinking a fishing trip up there someday is in order. :)

Kummok

If you're coming for the best, come up in Oct-Dec  or Mar-May for the "Winter (feeder) Kings". A bit iffy on catching the weather right but that's when the best-o-the-best salmon are caught. If you're going to charter, I just discovered this outfit  http://aksaltwatercharters.com/index.html and intend to give them a try myself...their ad says all the right stuff to my ears!