Jerky Questions

Started by DADAKOTA, October 06, 2010, 07:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DADAKOTA

I have been making jerky in the dehydrator (with fan) for many years.  I dehydrate the whole muscle jerky at 155 for give or take 4 hours.  I have never used a cure in my recipe and not had any issues.  Folks beg for jerky.  Had several offer to buy all the meat and ingredients if I'd give them 50% of the finished product.

Wanting to use the OBS to make a batch and hopefully make the jerky even better.  I am planning on trying to get the OBS up to 155 and start the smoke.  Figure about 4 -5 hours is this about correct?  How long should I put the smoke to it?  Do I need to rotate the racks?  Top to bottom?  Front to back?  Am I crazy for not incorporating a cure?  Thanks in advance for the help.

Nepa - What kind of slicing knife is that and where could a feller get one?

FLBentRider

I use the obs to apply smoke to my jerky, and then into the dehydrator.

How much salt is in your jerky seasonings?

I would start with an hour of smoke and adjust up from there.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BigJohnT

I have a pretty good soy based jerky recipe here...

John

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: DADAKOTA on October 06, 2010, 07:04:07 AM
I have been making jerky in the dehydrator (with fan) for many years.  I dehydrate the whole muscle jerky at 155 for give or take 4 hours.  I have never used a cure in my recipe and not had any issues.  Folks beg for jerky.  Had several offer to buy all the meat and ingredients if I'd give them 50% of the finished product.

Wanting to use the OBS to make a batch and hopefully make the jerky even better.  I am planning on trying to get the OBS up to 155 and start the smoke.  Figure about 4 -5 hours is this about correct?  How long should I put the smoke to it?  Do I need to rotate the racks?  Top to bottom?  Front to back?  Am I crazy for not incorporating a cure?  Thanks in advance for the help.

Nepa - What kind of slicing knife is that and where could a feller get one?

Thats a Henckles straight 14" knife my wife uses when she makes cakes. I got mine at Reading china & glass years ago. Dont know if they still make em.

DADAKOTA

So do most folks smoke then dehydrate?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: DADAKOTA on October 06, 2010, 08:25:11 PM
So do most folks smoke then dehydrate?

Some do some dont.

If you go with the full time in the smoker just keep an eye on it so it dont get brittle.

DADAKOTA

Thanks Nepa.  Would you apply smoke for any longer than 1 hour?

KevinG

I'm doing a batch of whole muscle jerky as we speak, got it soaking overnight now. I'll be using my bradley for the whole smoke/dehydration process. I recommend using cure#1. Last batch I smoked for 3 hours, then I checked every hour for doneness. Thicker slices take longer so it depends on your cuts. I usually try for 1/8" slices, but sometimes they get up to 1/4".
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: DADAKOTA on October 06, 2010, 08:31:49 PM
Thanks Nepa.  Would you apply smoke for any longer than 1 hour?

Yeah like Kevin said

2-3 hrs, any longer you might as well eat burnt wood

Quarlow

I don't use cure for my jerky and I know some think this is not to good. But I don't store out of the fridge and I also freeze some of it as it thaws real quick. My last batch was marinaded with CT sauce and it was great. I have also used my favourite BBQ sauce too. I have not used any store bought jerky mixes but I think I will try the High Mountain kinds next time which will be soon.
Yes you want to rotate your racks for sure or you will end up with really bad meat crisps. GIve it a couple of hrs of smoke max and then dry/cook till done. You want it to bend but not break.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.