Rack Question...

Started by OMC-MOOSE, October 06, 2010, 03:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OMC-MOOSE

Hey guys,  I just recently purchased the Bradley Original along with an additional standard 4 racks. ($30 for the 4 racks).  I've since noticed that a bunch of you are using the plastic mesh in your standard racks (frogmats?) and I just noticed today that my local Gander Mountain sells the Bradley non-stick coated jerky racks (also $30 for 4). 

I could return the 4 standards that I bought for an even swap for 4 jerky racks and buy and additional 4 jerky racks for another $30 for a total of $60 invested in racks...OR...do you think I should keep the 4 standards that I already have and buy the frogmats for all 8 racks for about $90 total investment?

Is there much difference between the jerky racks and using the standard racks with frogmats I guess is the bottom line?

Is it ok to use "PAM" non-stick cooking spray on the racks while smoking and drying?

I'm not going to be making tons of jerky...usually maybe at the most 20-30 lbs. a year or so and that depends on how the hunting goes...some years may not make any!...lol.  Thanks for your input and thoughts
NRA Life Member

Up In Smoke

Moose,
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum!
I do not own any of the non-stick coat racks, i thought about them but changed my mind after reading some posts here.
unless they have changed them, the food welds itself to the racks and they peel after some use.
the last couple of years i have accumulated 16 racks and i use frog mats on them. the mats make cleanup much easier
and are also functional in my other smoker.
hope this helps....Although i am positive there will be others along with additional info. (and probably a little more up to date :D)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

OMC-MOOSE

Thank you UIS...I will see what the general consensus is on what I should do...this smoker stuff is all new to me.
NRA Life Member

squirtthecat

I'd lean towards the Frogmats as well...   They are so handy, and you can use them for other things as well. (grill, oven, etc. - just keep the temps under 500° or they will melt)

FLBentRider

I have frogmats - I also have the non-stick racks. the non-stick flaked off now they are rusting.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Ididn't have good results with the non-stick racks, but others have.

I may have gotten a bad batch.

camoghost

I have a set of the non-stick racks and have only used the a couple time. I hope they don't peel but I'm sure they will as dose the pans and everything Else non-stick. So for the long run I'd say go stainless and use frogmats or basspro also has some stainless wire trays with small holes I think might fit inside your stainless racks I know they have a few differant sizes. I will be out there tomarrow I will check and let you all know for sure. Will get brand name and price.

Quarlow

From what I have read the non-stick mats are not the best. You should go for the frog mats. But you have an extra set of bradley racks and they come in real handy. If you flip them over and stack one on top of each rack you double your capacity. Or for a better job you can get an extra rack kit and have slid in brackets for the spare racks. You can get them from "Yard and Pool" or just get some lite angle and cut your own like Classicrockgriller did.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

I have a set of frogmats, and also spray Pam on the racks.

I'm not sure, but Bradley may have made some changes in how the non-stick is applied. I've been seeing a few posts over the past year that some members are not having any problems with them.

The regular racks are not stainless steel. They are made from some metal alloy that is chrome plated. After awhile the chrome plating will begin to wear off. At that point if you don't dry them thoroughly after washing they will rust.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

I have a set of rack buy have to admitt I haven't used them much and they're still in good shape.    When I make jerky I don't use the racks unless its ground meat jerky.   Whole muscle meat I use skewers so the jerky hangs.   The skewers are held up by a couple pieces of dowlings.    I find I get more in the smoker.

camoghost

Quote from: camoghost on October 06, 2010, 04:19:34 PM
I have a set of the non-stick racks and have only used the a couple time. I hope they don't peel but I'm sure they will as dose the pans and everything Else non-stick. So for the long run I'd say go stainless and use frogmats or basspro also has some stainless wire trays with small holes I think might fit inside your stainless racks I know they have a few differant sizes. I will be out there tomarrow I will check and let you all know for sure. Will get brand name and price.

I'm sorry all I had to work over tonight and didn't get time to go to bass pro.  If you look on there website they have them on there for 9.99- 13.99 they are jerky oven screens but they really don't give a size on them.

Indy Smoker

I have 8 racks also for jerky and purchased 4 of the bradley plastic 'jerky' screens and was disappointed - they no longer sell those by the way because they don't ho;d up to the hi temps (just my luck).
I also bought 4 of the frog mats and use them for almost everything I cook, easier cleanup and hold up to the hi-temps.  I recommend them and you can find them at yardandpool.com

OMC-MOOSE

It's cool camoghost...I ordered 8 frogmats from yard and pool...that seemed to be the general consensus...thank you everyone for all your input!
NRA Life Member