Wet cure bacon

Started by Bavind, October 06, 2010, 09:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavind

has anyone treid to wet cure bacon. I did a wet cure on some ham last week and it turned out great. Just curious if anyone has tried this.

Piker

I tried it after some dry cure which ended up way too salty due to my fault. Anyways it turned out great and have been doing it that way ever since. Piker

LumpyDVC

I did 10.5's Maple Cured Bacon a little while back.

Came out great for my first bacon attempt.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon
-= Lumpy # 2 =-

Habanero Smoker

I have wet cured bacon. The texture is more like the commercial bacon you buy in the store.

This is the brine I used at the time:

4 quarts Water; divided
1 cup pickling salt (10 ounces)
1/4 cup brown sugar; packed
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 ounces Pink Salt (aka InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1; Modern Cure #1; T.C.M.)

To this you can add bay leaves, garlic, whole peppercorns ect.

In a 3 - 4 quart non-reactive sauce pan add 2 quarts of water. Add all ingredients except the cure. Bring to a boil and simmer; stirring constantly until all the salt and sugar is dissolved.

Add 2 quarts of ice water and allow to cool down. You can cool the brine faster by adding 2 pounds of ice instead of the ice water. After mixture has cooled, add the pink salt, and stir until it is fully dissolved. Before using the pickle, it has to be between 38 degrees F - 40 degrees F.

Follow the curing directions found in this recipe.
Makin' Bacon

But you should add one step. Prior to smoking slice of a small piece and fry it. If it is too salty, soak it on cold water for an hour, changing the water once during that time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

brownie31

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 07, 2010, 01:23:18 PM
I have wet cured bacon. The texture is more like the commercial bacon you buy in the store.

This is the brine I used at the time:

4 quarts Water; divided
1 cup pickling salt (10 ounces)
1/4 cup brown sugar; packed
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 ounces Pink Salt (aka InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1; Modern Cure #1; T.C.M.)

How many lbs does this cure/brine

Habanero Smoker

Depending on the size of the container, and making sure you do not pack the meat in, this will cure up to 16lbs of meat or bacon, but it doesn't matter if you are curing 5lbs or 16lbs with this amount of brine; you will get the same results, though it will be a waste of supplies if you use this amount for a small piece of meat. The general rule is that you need at least 50% weight in brine equal to the green weight of the meat/fat. For example if you want to cure 8lbs of bacon or other meat you will need at least 4lbs of brine prior to adding the other ingredients. Four pounds of water (and/or other liquids) equals 2 quarts. If you reduce the liquid in the recipe you also must reduce all the other ingredients proportionately - that includes the cure.

If you have more then one belly it is best to cure them in separate containers, but if you are stacking them you need to overhaul daily. In this case overhauling means removing the bellies from the brine, stirring the brine, and rotating bellies from top to bottom before replacing them in the brine. Personally I would not stack more the two high.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

Hab, or anyone else feel free to answer. thinking about trying a wet cure bacon. I see your recipe but just want to know a few things I don't really understand. Were using pink salt to cure. So why so much more salt added? I also thought the sugar salt was normally equal when curing. Not questioning your recipe but like to know why there needed in those amounts. Would it be safe to cut back on salt?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Salt is important for the curing action. You could reduce the salt, but but generally you should increase the curing times.

A wet cure is referred to as a pickle; and sugar is not needed, when it is added it is referred to as a sweet pickle, and sugar does take the sharpness off the salt. If you want a sweeter bacon, you can add more sugar.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

Ok  How you figure your curing time with a wet. I mean belly is about what 1 " thick?  So seems it would only take a few hours compared to a thicker piece of meat. I dry cured 2 1/2 - 3" pieces of buckboard in about 14 hours. So would this be less? Thickness or weight matters I would guess.
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

When using a wet cure, it is generally faster than a dry cure. With belly bacon you generally will wet cure 4 - 5 days, as to generally 7 days with a dry cure. As I mentioned in the other thread, I was surprised to discovery that most tasso ham recipes (which is basically what you made, without the seasoning) only called for several hours of curing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

Hmm never heard of Tasso ham. I'll have to goggle that. It does have more ham then bacon taste but I enjoy it. Trying this mainly for Mom she likes the pork grease she gets from Bacon as well as me also. So thought Id try regular Bacon. Problem is she dont like maple. So thought I'd add the spice I did last time and see how that turns out. I added brown sugar to replace maple flavor. I also added pepper,garlic, and onion powder. 1 TBS per every two lbs. I also used tender quick. This time thought I'd try your brine with pink salt plus my spices. If you was to convert this would you just double spices and use brine or what?
Inside setup.

squirtthecat

You definitely want to check out Tasso.  It's a quick cure, with a fiery taste.   Meant for seasoning Cajun dishes, beans, etc..      It'll make your nose run for sure.

viper125

Thats right up my alley! THe hotter the better.
Inside setup.