all the pucks smell & taste the same - horrible

Started by nambija, October 05, 2010, 07:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nambija

Hi All,
I  am new to this smoking stuff, got myself one digital smoker and boy am unhappy.

I have seasoned the smoker as per the instructions.

Can anyone help, i must be doing some thing wrong here. I have used all of the flavours and they all taste the same. The smoke smells like burnt old plastic, chicken, ribs and fish all taste of burnt smoke. On Utube and other websites they all say how lovely the smoke smells, can the pucks get old, do i need to wet them or soak them in water before adding to the smoker ?

I am really stuck here and well pissed off as this digital smoker cost me a few hundred euros. The pucks are not that cheap either here in Spain.

Any help will certainly be appreciated.

thanks

;D ;D >:(

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum nambija!

I will start with some questions.

1. How many pucks are you using? - You should start out with only an hour or two until you get your flavor dialed in. If you are using 4 hours or more that could be your issue.

2. what position do you have the vent?

You should not get the pucks wet, that will cause them to swell and fall apart.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DTAggie

Nambija, have you ever even tried smoke food before?

xtianmadrid

Hi, I have 6 Rack DBS and live near Madrid,  never had any problems with the pucks smelling. Where did you get them?

Mailman

I dont know why. Did you get all the packaging out? Take the pucks out of the plastic? Not trying to be a smart  a**, just confused why it would taste like plastic.
If to error is human. Than I'm more human than most.