Cuban Sandwich - the Miami way!!

Started by SouthernSmoked, October 11, 2010, 01:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachanga

Habanero Smoker

Here is a similiar recipe on the recipe site.

Pan Cubano - (Cuban Bread )

Don't let it cool too long before removing the string, or your crust will begin to soften.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pachanga

Habs,

Thanks.

Good info.

Maybe I missed it, but what is the purpose of the leaves or strings in all of these recipes?

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

Habanero Smoker

It does provide a slit in the top, but there is a purpose behind it. The best crust and texture is obtained when the crust is not slit before baking. By not slitting the loaves, they holds moisture inside while the bread is baking, thus improving it's texture. After the bread is baked you then need a way for the steam to escape, if the steam cannot escape the crust will become soft. Using the string, you can trap the steam in during baking, and after it bakes; removing the string removes part of the crust allowing the steam to escape.

The link SouthernSmoked provided uses the same method. Again don't let it cool too long before removing the string or the crust will begin to soften.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Pachanga

Thanks,

I understand now.  That makes perfect sense.

Pachanga

BuyLowSellHigh

If you look at the thread CRG linked to, on the second page he has a post that includes a link to a video of Cuban bakers doing their thing.  In that you can see how they use Palmetto leaves.  I haven't done Cuban bread yet, but when I do I plan to use Date Palm leaves as I have three Date Palms in my landscape.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Pachanga

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on October 13, 2010, 03:54:01 AM
If you look at the thread CRG linked to, on the second page he has a post that includes a link to a video of Cuban bakers doing their thing.  In that you can see how they use Palmetto leaves.  I haven't done Cuban bread yet, but when I do I plan to use Date Palm leaves as I have three Date Palms in my landscape.

I watched the film also but couldn't figure out the reason for the string/leaf. 

Those guys can really throw some dough.  I will not be so careful with my bread making in the future.  I hope those guys shave their arms.  If you haven't watched, they use their entire forearm to shape the dough.  Several guys shape two loaves at a time in less than a second.

Good luck and may all your bread rise as expected,

Pachanga

hal4uk

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on October 13, 2010, 03:54:01 AM
I'm in Illinois --- I just use green onion stalks
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

I am doing some Cabano's at the deer camp this year!

Trying to re-fine the RedNecks! ;D