Game meat brisket

Started by Derek_KQ700, September 23, 2010, 05:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derek_KQ700

I am getting ready to go hunting next week for moose and deer. Is it worth having the briskets cut out for smoking? The meat would be very lean, I am hopful to do this with a moose. Has anybody done this before?

RAF128

HMMMMM.   Never thought of that.   Have butchered a lot of deer over the year and never looked at it.   On a moose or an elk there might be enough there but likely not on a deer.

terry08

Venison briket is not worth fooling with. Just my opinion...

Tenpoint5

I would tend to agree not enough there to mess with. Even with our corn fed deer we have here in Iowa.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BuyLowSellHigh

I am thinking that from whatever animal, one you get one big enough (deer not likely) if it is wild it is going to be so lean that you will end up making a giant wild game jerky slab.  That said, if you get one of decent size you might consider corning a la corned beef and then possibly  pastrami.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Derek_KQ700

I knew a deer brisket would be too small, but we did manage to get a moose that dressed out at 500lbs, and I asked for the briskets to be cut out. We pick it up on this upcoming Sunday. I am going to give the briskets a try. I now the meat is very lean, so I will have to inject it and mop it as it cooks.

Ka Honu

You might also try draping bacon and/or pork fat over the brisket (and between flat & point if you don't separate them).