It must be a "While Mamma's away" weekend..

Started by squirtthecat, October 09, 2010, 11:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I'm baching it as well, and rolling some smoke. (and making a mess)

Drug the freezer and beer fridge out in the driveway to defrost.  I didn't do it last year, so it is long overdue.

It was also a 'clean out the freezer' exercise.   Here is one casualty being sacrificed to the gods of Mount Saint Traeger.

(ash plume)

With my beer fridge out of service for the rest of the day, I commandeered one of the lettuce crispers.
(this is where I used to keep beer before I got married - who needs lettuce??)

Some Cajun marinaded log of pork.   Why not.

Still burning a lot of grease and goo out of the Traeger...   I'm thinking this pizza might have some smoke flavor to it.

Not gonna win any awards with this one.   It isn't bad, though.  I hit it with some Goya Adobo before it went in - that adds a nice flavor..

Tenpoint5

How do you get all that meat in that little bitty freezer? I like the size of the big beer fridge!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

squirtthecat

More freezer leftovers...

Venison brats (frozen) and a seasoned pork tenderloin (mostly thawed by now).

I've got them at 225° right now, and the brats should be almost done by the time I get back from church.
Note to self, pick up hot dog buns..

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 09, 2010, 11:42:33 AM
I'm baching it as well, and rolling some smoke. (and making a mess)

Drug the freezer and beer fridge out in the driveway to defrost.  I didn't do it last year, so it is long overdue.

Dang Squirt, you cracked your drive way dragging that Polar Bear out there. ;D

At least you were able to save the important stuff...Miller Time!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

squirtthecat

Amen, bro!   That was actually from a plumber who will remain nameless, who parked a back hoe on my driveway to dig down next to it to repair a broken water line.  (this has been 10 years or so)  CRACK down the entire length of it.  And it's getting worse.

Just pulled the brats off and put in a pan w/ a heavy splash or 3 of beer.  FTM.

Not a hot dog bun to be found in town...   Our church had a mass in the park, then a BBQ/cookout/ice cream social of sorts at the KC hall.   I'm thinking they bought up everything.

hal4uk

You picked a good day for de-icing...
I got a sun tan cruising I-55 in the roadster today --- felt like July out there.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Tenderloin is done...  I took it to 145°.   Foiled, wrapped and hanging w/ the brats in the microwave now.

I was going to start some salt + ketchup in the Bradley, but I think I'll wait and do it first thing in the morning.  It's still pretty warm outside...

Time the wrestle the freezer back inside the garage.   My beer fridge freezer is still one solid lump of ice, so it'll probably take all night to thaw.   I'll just shut the garage door on the cord, so nobody gets any crazy ideas about walking off with it.

squirtthecat

Dang!  Dried out the Bambi Brats...   I got home from church and stuck them with my Thermoworks RT600C (nice small probe), and they were 172+°.  Crap!

Even from frozen state, 90 minutes at 225-ish was too much.  And the FTM pretty much killed them off.

They were tasty, but definitely over cooked.    Oh well - live and learn.

Keymaster

squirtthecat

Quote from: Keymaster on October 09, 2010, 06:11:47 PM
I;ll  bet the Cat was Pizzed  ;D

:D

Naw, not really.   I've got a couple more packages of them in the freezer. Well, in the coolers, destined for the freezer - once I get it turned back on and chilled.  (traded them for some pulled pork I had done)

I've done these 3 times now - with mixed results.  The best was an hour of 225° smoke, then into a foil pan of beer for another hour or so.   I'm just trying to avoid the 'braise' step and get them to pop out nice and juicy - like I can with fresh pork brats.

Practice, Practice, Practice..
(and eat our mistakes)