First Salmon

Started by SmokinSignals, March 11, 2013, 10:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinSignals

My son and wife love salmon so I made up a batch for them.

Picked up some salmon from the local market

Deboned and skin removed

Made up a brine with white sugar, brown sugar, salt, and a special blend of spice from our local spice shop

Marinated in fridge overnight in sealed container.  Used a pyrex lid that I turned upside down to hold fish down.  Worked really well.

End result was a winner with the family.

MoHuka

SmokinSignals,

Any chance you could share the amounts of each ingredient in your brine?  The Salmon looks great....good job
MoSmoker

SmokinSignals

MoHuka,
The brine recipe is as follows:
1 quart warm water
1 quart cold water
3/4 cup kosher salt
2 tsp of spice of your choice.  (We used a custom spice for fish from our local spice shop.  It is custom blended by the shop)
3 cups of white sugar
2 cups of brown sugar
Mix all the dry ingredients with the warm water to dissolve.  Then add the cold water to temper the brine.  Place the salmon in the brine, stir every few hours, and weigh the salmon down to keep submerged.  We used a glass pyrex lid that we turned upside down to hold them under.  Marinate overnight, allow them to air dry the next day for a couple hours, then smome them to 145 IT temp.  Thanks for the compliments on the salmon.  Hope this helps.

MoHuka

Thanks a million smokinsignals...exactly what I have been looking for and will give it a go as soon as I get home....
MoSmoker

Keymaster

Good looking Smoked Salmon, Nice Job!!