brand new to this

Started by mildeer, July 02, 2005, 12:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mildeer

I just bought a Bradley Stainless steel smoker and so far so good.I have a question tho,when they say to cook for 13 hours do you do that with the smoke off and only the heat on?Also what is FTC?Like I said I am brand new at this.

Larry Miller

nsxbill

Once you turn it on leave both the tower and smoke generator on for the entire time.  Apply smoke for max 4 hrs.  Try to remember you are not  using an oven.  Try to keep the cook temp low and cook slow.  Chicken about 1.5-2hrs of smoke is plenty.  I do chicken at 265° for only a couple of hours, and usually brown up on a gas grill with sauce after smoking.  The smoker doesn't leave the skin crisp, so the browning after fixes that problem and gives a little more color to the chicken.

Change out your water every 4 hours, and make sure you have the top vent cracked about 1/4 to 1/3 a slot open.  

Best way to control is with a Maverick ET-73 to adjust manually.  I have the BBQ Guru Procom 4 and Raptor.  If I have large batches and they are equal size, it will automatically control both of by SS Bradleys at once so I am not out sliding switch back and forth all day.  You will be out with your smoker much of the time during your first smoke.  Try to keep that door closed, and no peeking!  Beer on hand helps!

Enjoy!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jaeger

Welcome to the boards mildeer!!!
Let us know what's smokin'!!!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Also what is FTC? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It is a form of passive cooking. Say you want a med-rare roast. You would pull the roast around 130 F. Wrap it in Foil, then a Towel, and then place it inside a pre-heated (ice) Cooler. It will continue to cook in it own heat.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

mildeer

Thanks for the tips,I am doing four racks of wings this week

Larry Miller

Habanero Smoker

I thought I would share my experience with you. I did 4 trays of wings once, and I'll never do it again. That's going to be about 11-12 pounds of wings. It was a struggle to get the BS to 190 F. To complicate matters, because of the moisture build up, liquid was coming out of the bottom of the door. I had to open the vent wider, from 1/4 to 1/2 open. This caused more problems with keeping the temperature up. When all was done, most of the seasoning in the cabinet peeled off, but the wings were good.

Now I will only do no more then 5 pounds of wings at a time, and fill the other two trays with ABT's, brisket, butt or just do the wings alone.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

Ditto on Habanero.  I only do 5# at a time too.  I only do them for 2 hrs at 275° F., then off into a bowl of sauce and onto the gas grill for finishing off and crisping up the wings.  Nice color too!  I have been buying the pre-prepped Sam's Club in 10# bags and quite pleased with them.  Already in 2 pieces and tips are already removed

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

Bill,
I get my wings from Sam's also; convinient and inexpensive. The next time I do wings, I'm going to do it your way. The only change I am going to make is to keep them in the smoker longer. I like 3 hours of smoke on my wings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

I cringe when I say this, but my wife doesn't much care for smoked meats.  Hard to say this with 2 smokers out on my table, but doesn't slow me down a bit!  

I work with other nurses, and will take in a couple of lbs of wings with sauce and Ranch dressing once in awhile as a treat for everyone.  Always come home with an empty plate and lots of accolades!

I think I need to look for a new wife!  Maybe use BBQ as introduction to a new woman! [}:)][:D][:D]

Bill

JJC

Welcome, Mildeer!  Keep sharing your experinces with us . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mildeer</i>
<br />Thanks for the tips,I am doing four racks of wings this week

Larry Miller
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If your wings came out anything like mine, you were eating good.