First jerky question of probabaly many

Started by steve-o, October 23, 2010, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve-o

Hi all, I am hoping to try making jerky tomorrow for the first time and I am getting conflicting thoughts on which way to slice the meat, some say with the grain other say against the grain. I am relatively new to using my bradley just used it for smoked salmon so far. Also I have heard freezin the meat for a bit makes it easier to cut, how long in the freezer approx? Thanks

Tenpoint5

I myself am a against the grain person. Makes the jerky easier to chew. I would suggest putting the meat in the freezer for 30-45 minutes. You dont want to freeze it solid you just want it to be stiff.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Cutting with the grain tends to make it more chewy, while against the grain will make it break apart more easily. If you do chill it, don't freeze it solid, just get it cold enough where it's firm, that way it'll cut easier. Time depends on the size of meat, so just check it every 15 minutes or so.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Slamdunk

Hi Steve o and welcome to the forum - I see this is your first post.

As you can see from the first two replies to your question, both ways are popular. So, why don't you try both against and with the grain and see which you prefer. I think those with "younger, sharper" teeth prefer with the grain, and those, like me, prefer across the grain so we can "gum" it!!

More importantly for a first timer, is to remember to both rotate your racks ie: front to back and rotate the racks themselves ie: bottom rack to top, top rack to bottom and switch the middle two racks, thus giving an even temperature for all the jerky.

Don't get into the habit of opening up the door and peeking too often, you will lose your heat and it will take longer for your jerky.

The jerky will be done when it bends but doesn't break or crack.

Any other questions ask away!!
Good luck and remember - we like pics!!

Edit: and once you get the beef jerky down pat, you should try some turkey jerky - I actually like it better - but mostly for health reasons.

FLBentRider

Slamdunk said it well.

I would suggest cutting some each way to see how you like it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

steve-o

Thanks all, I guess I will try it both ways as I just have a couple steaks to try for the first batch. I have been lookin everywhere for 'cure #1' with no luck and reading earlier posts was nervous to try without it so I just picked up some hi mtn mix and will try that first. I was planning on using 3-4 pucks worth of smoke and then leaving it in the smoker for a few more hours after that. I dont think I will have it in the mix for the 24 hours that is recommended but I have a foodsaver with the quick marinator that i was gonna use before smoking. Do you recommend rinsing the meat off before throwin it in the smoker? I do that when smoking salmon but not sure about jerky.

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

steve-o

So it turned out good, thanks to all that helped out...and reading older posts in this forum. I did think that the jerky lacked a bit of flavor when i followed the hi mtn recipe exactly, but maybe because I didnt go the full 24 hrs it suggested. Maybe next time I will add a few spices in for next batch.

FLBentRider

Quote from: steve-o on October 25, 2010, 04:37:48 PM
So it turned out good, thanks to all that helped out...and reading older posts in this forum. I did think that the jerky lacked a bit of flavor when i followed the hi mtn recipe exactly, but maybe because I didnt go the full 24 hrs it suggested. Maybe next time I will add a few spices in for next batch.

It's really a matter of taste, but I sometimes measure, say 4.5lbs worth of spices and cure for 4lbs of meat. That will kick the flavor up a bit, but you have to be careful or it will get too salty.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BigJohnT

You might want to try out my favorite jerky recipe here.

John

RAF128

I've made jerky quite a few times with the HM kits.    They have lots of different ones and if the one you used doesn't have enough flavor there will be another that different or hotter, what ever you like.
I used to make the original but IMO it lacked pepper so I'd sprinkle a little pepper on each layer of meat.    They I tried their pepper blend and it was just right for my tastes.   I've also tried the cajun and it was OK but a lot of others didn't like the extra heat.    I don't like sweet jerkys so have tried those kits.
I've always let my meat sit for the 24 hrs.   IMO it takes a while for the spices and cure to be absorbed and do what it's supposed to do.

steve-o

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 26, 2010, 06:37:42 AM

You might want to try out my favorite jerky recipe here.

John

I am having a hard time finding 'cure #1' but I finally think I have found a place locally that sells it, so I will definitely give that one a whirl at some point. Have you tried that recipe with turkey? My girlfriend doesn't eat mammals so I am gonna be trying a batch of turkey once I get the beef nailed.

steve-o

Quote from: RAF128 on October 26, 2010, 12:29:47 PM
I've made jerky quite a few times with the HM kits.    They have lots of different ones and if the one you used doesn't have enough flavor there will be another that different or hotter, what ever you like.
I used to make the original but IMO it lacked pepper so I'd sprinkle a little pepper on each layer of meat.    They I tried their pepper blend and it was just right for my tastes.   I've also tried the cajun and it was OK but a lot of others didn't like the extra heat.    I don't like sweet jerkys so have tried those kits.
I've always let my meat sit for the 24 hrs.   IMO it takes a while for the spices and cure to be absorbed and do what it's supposed to do.

I tried the sweet and spicy mix, but it was only in for about 18 hours so that may have played a role, i tried using my foodsaver marinader to give it an extra bit of marination but maybe it wasnt enough

BigJohnT

My other brother John has made turkey jerky and told me that the drying time for turkey is much faster and if you go too long it turns into turkey brittle. The soy marinade should be good on turkey too.

As for beef when I marinade I dip each piece in the marinade and make sure it is fully covered then place it into a glass casserole dish covered with plastic wrap. I've tried the food saver vacuum marinaders and find the dip method gives me the best coverage.

John