Good recipe for moose heart?

Started by Lasse, July 04, 2005, 11:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasse

I got some moose parts and have tried the rib and sirloin and the sirloin was a hit. I used red wine marinade and some seasoning for the grill for the sirloin.
The rib was a bit tougher but still juicy and fine.

I don't want to ruin the heart so I would like to ask if anyone here has a recipe that I can use?

Below is a picture of Stina tasting the sirloin.
http://smoker.americats.com/Smoke_June05/slides/SANY0072_640x480.html

Some more pictures at:
http://smoker.americats.com/Smoke_June05/

Whenever I take out some smoked meat then Stina and Saga comes and wants to help me eat it.[:D]

My sister caught a 6 pound arctic char that I will smoke later.
I'll see what kind of recipe I will use for that.

TIA
for any answers.

/Lasse

whitetailfan

Sorry I don't have a good answer for you lasse, but no one had responded yet, and I hate getting no answers.  To be honest, I don't eat many wild organs.  If I remember to save the heart and liver, I give it away, or the farm animals get it if its damaged by bullets.

The best style of heart I have eaten is oven roasted and stuffed.  My mom used to make it when we butchered beef.  Whip up some bread and spice stuffing and fill all the heart cavities.  After roasting, slice it horizontally and you wind up with a nice "pinwheel" looking piece of meat and stuffing.

I would not recommend stuffing the heart and smoking as people around here have warned in the past that bread soaks up way too much smoke and tastes burned, or ashy, or just plain bad.[xx(]

Good luck

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Lasse

Thanks for the response WTF,

I have a half heart from a grown moose and a whole from a calf.

If I get some real tasty smoked heart I'll post the recipe.

/Lasse

JJC

Hi Lasse,

Bradley has a smoked moose heart recipe that involves one of their wood flavors.  I'll try to see if I can find it somewhere, or you might want to see if it's on their website.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Lasse

Hi John,

That would be great.
I have found a recipe but that is for a stuffed heart and I don't want it stuffed.

Maybe just a wet brine with salt, brown sugar and some herbs will do the trick? We'll see later on.
Some beer on the side while smoking can't be a bad idea.[:p][:o)]

/Lasse

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lasse</i>
<br />Some beer on the side while smoking can't be a bad idea.[:p][:o)]

/Lasse
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And will certainly make the heart taste better! MooseHEAD I think would be appropriate.[;)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Crazy Canuck

Lasse

I haven't smoked a Moose Heart yet! But I have cooked lots of them. I know you don't want stuffed but My favorite is to hollow them out and stuff the heart with stove top stuffing for turkey. Cook in the oven for three hours at 300 F. With the smoker I think I would probably go sweet. 1.5 hours with apple or pecan. and cook to internal temp of 155 F.

Let me know as hunting season is just a month away.

Addicted to Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR@ Fort St John BC

JJC

Hi Lasse,

Finally dug out the Bradley receipe for Stuffed and Smoked Moose Heart that came with the Hickory pucks.  I'v never tied it, but here it is:

1 Moose heart split lengthwise
salt and pepper to taste
500 ml bread or cracker crumbs
125 g pork sausage
65 ml cup minced onion
125 ml cup all-purpose flour
65 ml vegetable oil
1 ml pepper
3 ml sage
15 ml minced parsely
500 ml water
5 ml beef base

Preparation:

Wash heart, trim all fat and remove arteries.  soak n cold salty water for 30 min.  Drain and pat dry.  Brush outside of heart with oil and sprinkle entire heart with salt and pepper to taste.  In a large bowl combine the breadcrumbs, sausage, sage and parsely.  Fill inside cavity with the breadcrumb mixture and tie or skewer the heart back together.  Roll the heart in flour, then braise it in a hot frying pan with oil until the heart has a golden brown color.  Transfer the heart from the frying pan to an oiled smoker rack.

Smoking:

Preheat BS to 120C. Place stuffed heart in smoker.  Use hickory pucks (4 hr recommended), with total cook time up to 8 hr.  You can make a thin gravy out of the reamining flour and grease from the frying pan to serve with the heart.  Makes 4 "hearty" servings.  Works with any species of heart.

Let us know if you try this recipe!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Lasse

Hi

I finally made it and smoked the hearts.
I used pre made marinade.
One with red wine taste and the other with smoked honey.
They came out very good according to people who tasted them.
Some agreed with me that I should have added some salt in the marinade.

I missed to take some pictures on the heart but I have taken some other pictures that can be found here:
http://smoker.americats.com/Smoke_June05/
and the most recent ones here:
http://smoker.americats.com/Smoke_Aug05/

I must say that the temp controller that Peter tipped about has made life so much easier. [:D][:D]

Bacon around the tiny sausages was a hit.[:D]

Happy Smokin'

/Lasse

MallardWacker

Lasse,

O' my Freek'n word.  It's 8:45am and so darn hungry now and I don't know what to do after seeing all those pictures.  Those pics are great.  Love to see that type of sucess with a Bradley.

Still-me no moose heart-leave to stronger man.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Foam Steak

Thanks for the info.  I have some Bison hearts in the freezer.  I have been wondering what to do with them.  Brine/Smoke it is.

Habanero Smoker

I never heard of smoked honey. Is that a commercial product or honey that you have smoked?

I enjoy looking at your pictures Everything looks great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Lasse

TnX for the comments on the pix. I enjoy taken them almost as much as eat the smoked objects in them.[:D]

The marinades I used are commercial ones.
I like to use them when I marinade for the grill so  gave them a chance on the hearts.
When I marinade for the grill I almost always put some extra spices in the marinade but I didn't do that for the heart.
Next time I will do that.

Good luck with the Bison and let us know how it got.

/Lasse