A useful rack - meat - plastic wrap technique

Started by kflorian, July 17, 2005, 02:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kflorian

Yesterday I discovered a technique which proved very useful.  I imagine that somebody else has landed on this but I haven't seen it posted so here goes.

Whole brisket, cut in half to fit in 2 racks.

Place in rack, apply rub.

Cover entire rack in plastic wrap.

Place on cookie sheet in case there is leakage.

Refrigerate per your preferences.

Tear away plastic wrap at the smoker.

Clean.  Easy.  All the rub stays on the meat...none lost by sticking to the wrap.  Very little, if any, transferred to hands, door, etc.  Uses only a smidgen more plastic wrap.

Ken Florian

BigSmoker

Good idea thanks.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Phone Guy

That is a good idea. I usually make a mess transfering the meat from refer. to the racks to the smoker. Thanks

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

IF there is enough call for one , i could make a fridge rack that would hold 2 or mabe 3 racks with a drip pan out of stainless steel . that all you would have to do is load up, put in the fridge then pull out to get to room temp, then carry it out to your bradley, all in one shot, so give chez a yell and if enough orders come in it could be done,

SmokinMoe

Smokehouse Rob,
I was just thinking about your rack on Saturday as I was trying to keep my chicken from dripping all over the ground.  If you could make a rack with a drip pan in the bottom, it would make it easier.  The thing I would like to see on the rack is that the sides (long sides that hold the longer part of the trays would be like a solid 90 degree angle  something like this 1
                                  1______
Fill in the spaces so that the place where the 1's are would be a solid line and where the solid line is helps support the trays you slide in.  This would be great support and also like a shield to keep things from leaking out of the sides when you pull it out of the smoker and put it on the rack to bring back inside and vice-versa.  Just thinking aloud.  I wonder if you could make it so that there would be room for a drip tray on each level so that you could put more than one type of food on the rack with multiple rubs/marinades where they wouldn't drip down onto the next rack.  I know it would get expensive, but I know it would be a one time purchase (your craftmanship would be so good!) so, it would be worth buying.  I thought long and hard about that on Saturday and would purchase one in a heartbeat and possibly two more for Christmas gifts.
Just a woman's perspective.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

SmokinMoe
thinking about my rack, should'nt it be the other way around, LOL i just had to beat chez to the punch, ok look at this photo of the new drying / carying rack

it uses the same drip pan that comes with the bradley, as far as suporting the racks it has to hold them just like the bradley does so it can slide in, now #3? as far as a drip pan per rack i would have to see if a rack will fit into the bradley drip pan

SmokinMoe

I see that the problem is if the tray doesn't fit the drip pan tray, then you wouldn't be able to slide it in the bradley anyway.  I hope it fits the thing the food sits on in the Bradley.  I wanted something to go underneath the food tray until I get it into the Bradley. My porch is looking mighty nasty with the dripped marinade, etc. which I get alot of when pulling it off the cookie sheet to put in the Bradley. I started foiling the bottom and just pulling it off after I get it into the Bradley, but, if there was a way to incorporate a drip pan type thing for each level, I am all there for purchasing.  That is the only reason I hesitate to buy the rack.  I guess I could put the chicken on the bottom so it doesn't drip onto other types of meat.  

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

moe check this photo out

so it will work , all you do is pull the drip pan and rack out of the drying rack and slide it into the bradley. there is a small gap between the drip pan and rack . so when you slide it in, The rack suport in the bradley ,Make sure to have a small gap between the drip pan and the rack, the rack will stay in the smoker and the drip pan will be removed no more mess,  . try it out use a rack and your bradley drippan , chez sells extra drip pans,

SmokinMoe

Nice picture of my birthday present! LOL
It will work nicely AND you don't even have to redesign it! Great, I will order one from Chez.