Found my way.

Started by Jarck, October 17, 2010, 11:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarck

Oh brother,I started to hijack a thread on low temps last night. I bought 2 7# butts yesterday at 9 am.(found a day to smoke spur of the moment)Had some great dry rub in freezer and ym plus 2 racks of ribs for dinner.Preheated smoker. I didn't worry about ribs being done in time for dinner. The butts I got were the smallest I could find knowing this was a very late start to my BB.Well I always figure 12 hrs for cook time,never pulled BB out any earlier. Well my new B6d could only maintain 214 deg which is enough but I like it higher,again being so late. Ribs came out great for dinner at 6pm.BB got stuck at 17.Closed the vent to half and got temp up to 220. By midnight BB temp was still at 170,np preheat oven to 210,half hour later stuck BB in oven for the night.
Woke up at 6 and temp on BB went down to 160! At this point I'm chasing my tale. Since I read about tenting here I did that when I 1st put then in I cranked oven to 290.3 hrs later both were 190 to 200. yea
They are fine a tad drier than I'm used to but after sauce it will be fine.
I still am moving.This is a new way of smoking for me.I don't go nuts with watching temps,but I watch them more than I knew. All of my smoking gear is at the old house but not for long.I guess the oven here at new house if off to.(always had a thermometer in there to)
So I learned alot about smoking BB for 24 hours.(come on they were little 7#s.) I have plenty of confidence smoke foods,but this was a long path to get it done. A thanks all of you for the info here.Like a couple of weeks ago wondering where the heck is the smoke ring,to seeing step by step on some intimidating mods.I see some of you have put a lotta of work into this and other site. You have saved me money and headaches already! THANKS AGAIN!

Wildcat

Butts always take me 18 to 28 hours when I do 2 or more of them. Then again I cook and smoke at a cabinet temp or around 205. I have never had dry butts, but I also make sure I have a decent fat cap with the fat side up.

Congrats on your success and it will get even easier after you get used to the Bradley.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

GusRobin

I cook mine at 220. I usually do 8 # butts. They have taken anywhere from 18-24 hours. I have a PID and a dual element installed so I have no problem getting the cabinet to temp and holding it. Butts are fickle and are done when they are done. I leave them in and don't raise the temp when they hit a stall or go down a bit. Just let them do thier thing and I have never had a dry one.
I usually plan 24 hours for 2 8 ls and 2-3 hours for FTC. If done early I just FTC longer.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

bundy

I agree with both above, it seems if you plan 24 hours with the FTC it gets you right in there but I also have double elements, so that might make a diff.